Does this build work?

with your budget I personally would drop the intel and go AMD as you will get more bang for buck that way. 

as for optical drive, anything will do as long as its SATA connected DVDR multi drive is probably the cheapest but Blu Ray Multi drives aren't too costly. 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

You should probably use the current Gen Intel or AMD chip-sets instead of last gen.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

Oh I forgot to include something important, does the power supply fit in the case?

That PSU with it's ">65% Efficiency" looks suspicious to me. When in doubt, go for something more trustworthy.

Also, Neweg sells case/psu combo's, so you might want to think about something like this or this.

Edit:

with your budget I personally would drop the intel and go AMD as you will get more bang for buck that way. 

as for optical drive, anything will do as long as its SATA connected DVDR multi drive is probably the cheapest but Blu Ray Multi drives aren't too costly. 

^this

if you don't need a drive, just for the install, you can install it from an USB drive.

Also, FYI: When using an AMD CPU (APU), you can also put in an AMD GPU which give you some extra frames when using Mantle.