Network Backup Software

EmeraldFlame

So I am looking for an affordable software backup solution for all the computers in my house, that runs backup to a network location. I currently have a small server, running Windows Server 2012R2, with a RAID 5 of 9TB usable space (12TB total), and I would like to be able to run automatic backups of all my computers in the house to this server. Currently to run a backup I have to initiate it manually, and why thats not a huge deal, I would much rather have an automatic system for it. 

In a perfect world, I would like the software to be able to do these rules:

1st monday of the month: Run a full system backup, after backup is complete delete old backup

Daily: Run an incremental backup

Weekly: Run a differential backup, after differential backup is completed, delete any previous incremental and differential backups

Ideally, I would also want these backups to be run in a way where Windows itself would be restore-able, not just file sync but an actual system image. It would also be great if I could manage the rules for all the computers from the server itself after installing the software on all the other computers, but not necessarily required.

Currently the only thing I have found has been Acronis Backup, but after I bought a copy for my server, and a copy for the computers I would want to run it on, I would be looking at well over $1500. Does anyone know of any other software that may suit my needs but be a little more affordable?

So I am looking for an affordable software backup solution for all the computers in my house, that runs backup to a network location. I currently have a small server, running Windows Server 2012R2, with a RAID 5 of 9TB usable space (12TB total), and I would like to be able to run automatic backups of all my computers in the house to this server. Currently to run a backup I have to initiate it manually, and why thats not a huge deal, I would much rather have an automatic system for it. 

In a perfect world, I would like the software to be able to do these rules:

1st monday of the month: Run a full system backup, after backup is complete delete old backup

Daily: Run an incremental backup

Weekly: Run a differential backup, after differential backup is completed, delete any previous incremental and differential backups

Ideally, I would also want these backups to be run in a way where Windows itself would be restore-able, not just file sync but an actual system image. It would also be great if I could manage the rules for all the computers from the server itself after installing the software on all the other computers, but not necessarily required.

Currently the only thing I have found has been Acronis Backup, but after I bought a copy for my server, and a copy for the computers I would want to run it on, I would be looking at well over $1500. Does anyone know of any other software that may suit my needs but be a little more affordable?

Have you tried the built-in backup features of Windows Server 2012? I do believe there is automated client backups (Image based), and you should be able to have SOME control over full/differential, etc.

I don't think it will be quite as configurable as what you want, but might still be worth a look?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/jj713516.aspx

Now that is specifically for the Essentials version. I do not know how different the client backups are in each version of 2012.

Alternatively, if you are using Windows 7+ on all PC's, then you should be able to use the built-in Windows 7/Windows 8 backup tool, though it will likely have even less configurability,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186997/win7_backup.html

Acronis is awesome, but in your case it seems much too expensive for home use.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Have you tried the built-in backup features of Windows Server 2012? I do believe there is automated client backups (Image based), and you should be able to have SOME control over full/differential, etc.

I don't think it will be quite as configurable as what you want, but might still be worth a look?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/library/jj713516.aspx

Now that is specifically for the Essentials version. I do not know how different the client backups are in each version of 2012.

Alternatively, if you are using Windows 7+ on all PC's, then you should be able to use the built-in Windows 7/Windows 8 backup tool, though it will likely have even less configurability,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186997/win7_backup.html

Acronis is awesome, but in your case it seems much too expensive for home use.

You know, I honestly haven't tried the built in backup yet, mainly because I didn't realize it was there. I do have it available though, I am running 2012R2 Datacenter, which is the highest end version of server and has literally everything (I picked up 2 free copies during college because I was a CS major). In the Datacenter version though all the Essentials stuff gets piled into its own dashboard, and the only thing I had really messed with in there was setting up DLNA, I didn't realize there was backup in that too. I will check it out over the next few days and report back.

I am currently using the WIndows 7/8 image backup utility, but it has to be manually run (I could prolly set something up in task scheduler though) and it is always a full pack up, now way to do incremental or differentials.

And yeah, reading up on Acronis, there backup software seems amazing, but I don't have that kind of cash to drop on backup software.

You know, I honestly haven't tried the built in backup yet, mainly because I didn't realize it was there. I do have it available though, I am running 2012R2 Datacenter, which is the highest end version of server and has literally everything (I picked up 2 free copies during college because I was a CS major). In the Datacenter version though all the Essentials stuff gets piled into its own dashboard, and the only thing I had really messed with in there was setting up DLNA, I didn't realize there was backup in that too. I will check it out over the next few days and report back.

I am currently using the WIndows 7/8 image backup utility, but it has to be manually run (I could prolly set something up in task scheduler though) and it is always a full pack up, now way to do incremental or differentials.

And yeah, reading up on Acronis, there backup software seems amazing, but I don't have that kind of cash to drop on backup software.

If you have Datacenter Edition, then I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the built in Client Backup!

I've only used Essentials 2012 for a little bit. My own server is running WHS 2011. Though the hardware is getting a bit old - an upgrade will be warranted soon, and with that I might switch to Server 2012.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)