Watercooling Advice for a Newbie.

Go to solution Solved by Ghost,

Most water blocks perform withing 1-2C of each other. How good it is really doesn't matter as long as you buy a known brand of block. Choose what you think looks best rather then going after performance.

As a rule of thumb radiator dimensions is all that matters. Typically bigger radiators tend to have small price gaps between them so a 360 radiators is not worth anything near to 3 120 radiators.

So get the biggest one you can.

This will be my first PC build with a full loop, and mostly due to Haswell's temperatures, and for low noise I've decided to do it, But I need some advice:

I'm only going to be cooling the CPU, and am going to use a 240mm 40-45mm thick rad (for aesthetic reasons). 

1. I've been looking for a good value CPU block, I was looking at getting a Koolance CPU - 370SI, Apparently it was one of the best? Suggestions for better?

2. I've chosen a Alphacool XT45 240mm Radiator, is there anything better I can get for a similar price? (around £40 / $58)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

triple check your fittings and make sure they are tight. 

I havent built my rig yet but that is just a good idea with any thing with water :D

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Most water blocks perform withing 1-2C of each other. How good it is really doesn't matter as long as you buy a known brand of block. Choose what you think looks best rather then going after performance.

As a rule of thumb radiator dimensions is all that matters. Typically bigger radiators tend to have small price gaps between them so a 360 radiators is not worth anything near to 3 120 radiators.

So get the biggest one you can.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

If you haven't already, I would suggest reading the stickied threads at the top of the watercooling, and maybe even Linus' watercooling guide on his channel, just to make sure you know what you are doing and ensure you get everything right. 

Don't worry about the amount of research has gone into this, believe me, it's A LOT. I read the sticky threads and have watched Linus's water-cooling guide along with reading up on some guides on pumps and what-not.

triple check your fittings and make sure they are tight.

I havent built my rig yet but that is just a good idea with any thing with water :D

Yes, that does sound like a good idea!

I've chosen a Swiftech MCP355 Pump because 1. I have read that it's fine for a single rad and cpu block set up. 2. because I'm thinking of getting an XSPC 200ml pump-top reservoir, rather than a drive-bay res. (I like the clean look on my Switch 810)

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor