How Do I Activate a GSM Phone on net10 and do I need a SIM?

gurnben

Hey guys,

I'm back with another phone question (I'm hopelessly incompetent with phone networks as of yet). I have decided to buy a Moto X gen 1 GSM unlocked Developer Edition, and I am wondering if I need to order a sim card from Net10 and what the procedure is to transfer my number from my old dumb phone and activate a new unlimited service with Net10.

The phone I am looking at is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Moto-X-32GB-Dev-Edition-XT1053-Factory-Unlocked-Black-Woven-White-/131314235678?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item1e92f0391e

I am especially looking at the one on e-bay, although it is the same price on amazon because it has a squaretrade warranty available...

So:

Do I need a new net10 sim, I heard it comes with an at&t/net10 sim in it

and how do I set it up?

Thanks in advance!

Do I need a new net10 sim, I heard it comes with an at&t/net10 sim in it

You will need to buy a Net10 sim, since it doesn't come with any sim. You will need to get a nano sim or a sim cutter to cut down a regular/micro sim.

As for activating it and transferring your number I have no idea. I imagine that Net10 has a web-based activation process and for transferring you number you will need to call their support number.

I'll do a little digging to get better answers.

Edit #1: for transferring your number

A. To transfer your number from your Old Service Provider to NET10 Wireless, you must ask NET10 Wireless to Port your existing telephone number. NET10 Wireless will process the request for you. 

During this process, your service with your current provider will be disconnected automatically and activated with the new provider you have selected. There is no need for you to call your current provider to disconnect your service. 

During the request process, you will still be able to place calls on your existing wireless telephone or wire line phone. You, however, will not be able to receive calls during the porting process.

You will need to buy a Net10 sim, since it doesn't come with any sim. You will need to get a nano sim or a sim cutter to cut down a regular/micro sim.

As for activating it and transferring your number I have no idea. I imagine that Net10 has a web-based activation process and for transferring you number you will need to call their support number.

I'll do a little digging to get better answers.

Well thanks very much! I already checked on NET10's website, and they do offer a nano sim *check* and they do have an online phone activation which will transfer your phone number to another phone *check* I'm just wondering if, because I don't already have an unlimited plan and I need one for a smartphone, do I need to add it before I transfer the number(I assume so). Also, would I use my sim number to identify my new phone's sim to transfer the number to? How would I identify the new phone to transfer the number to?

Thanks again!

I'm just wondering if, because I don't already have an unlimited plan and I need one for a smartphone, do I need to add it before I transfer the number(I assume so). 

I think you have to add it when you are activating your phone(Create account>activate phone>Choose plan), but I could be wrong(this is how it works on T-Mobiles prepaid and StraightTalk).

Also, would I use my sim number to identify my new phone's sim to transfer the number to? How would I identify the new phone to transfer the number to?

I'm pretty sure you give them your old number and carrier information(like the name, some details, etc.) and then you tell them the number you are replacing(since you will have a temporary phone number) and other account details(just to verify that its you).

I think you have to add it when you are activating your phone(Create account>activate phone>Choose plan), but I could be wrong(this is how it works on T-Mobiles prepaid and StraightTalk).

I'm pretty sure you give them your old number and carrier information(like the name, some details, etc.) and then you tell them the number you are replacing(since you will have a temporary phone number) and other account details(just to verify that its you).

Well, I am actually already on net10's network with a different non-smartphone, and I am buying the Moto X new on e-bay with no carrier affiliation. I think I just give them my sim information then...

Well, I am actually already on net10's network with a different non-smartphone, and I am buying the Moto X new on e-bay with no carrier affiliation. I think I just give them my sim information then...

Did some looking around, and: When you get your new phone/sim, you will have to activate it as a new device(so you will get a new number). Then you can call them to replace your new number with your old one. They will ask for things like account details(numbers, etc.), but your new number will only be temporary.

Did some looking around, and: When you get your new phone/sim, you will have to activate it as a new device(so you will get a new number). Then you can call them to replace your new number with your old one. They will ask for things like account details(numbers, etc.), but your new number will only be temporary.

ok, thanks soo much!!!