sound card?

dingoman
Go to solution Solved by Mistersprinkles,

The purpose of a soundcard is to convert audio from digital to analog and pass it on to analog speakers or a headset, in the most basic terms. The purpose of a receiver is exactly the same. It takes a digital signal, converts it to analog, and passes it to an amp or to speakers. Obviously, the process is more complex than this but that's it in it's most basic terms.

Since you have a receiver which is going to do a much better job of converting digital to analog than a $100 soundcard, you want to take the sound from your PC digitally to the receiver. This does not require a sound card. Use either SPDIF if your motherboard supports it, or you can use the HDMI output from your GPU. 

Just wondering I've a 5.1 system would it sound better on a sound card/motherboard /r9 290 hdmi?

my receiver:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882105672

motherboard: asus maximus iv hero ,or the gpu.

Sound card i was planning on buying or it's not worth it? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048&cm_re=sound_card-_-29-102-048-_-Product

Bic america f12, polk 60s/cs1

i've it connected with hdmi atm,

The purpose of a soundcard is to convert audio from digital to analog and pass it on to analog speakers or a headset, in the most basic terms. The purpose of a receiver is exactly the same. It takes a digital signal, converts it to analog, and passes it to an amp or to speakers. Obviously, the process is more complex than this but that's it in it's most basic terms.

Since you have a receiver which is going to do a much better job of converting digital to analog than a $100 soundcard, you want to take the sound from your PC digitally to the receiver. This does not require a sound card. Use either SPDIF if your motherboard supports it, or you can use the HDMI output from your GPU. 

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

Thank's :)!