computer turns off when i plug in fan

Billsk8

so as the title says, i have a rear fan and a cpu cooler fan plugged in my MB, but my front 2 fans are only plugged in with molex and when i try to plug in the connector it shuts down my computer.

Id like to get info on the fans but cant.

I have tried diferent connectors on the motherboard and it seem that when i get to 3 fans plugged in, it happens.

Could it be a power issue? fans dont take to much power so I dont see that being the issue. I have a 750w psu with just 1 gpu, 2ssd and 1 hdd.

any ideas?

Why don't you turn your pc off first and then plug them in?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Why don't you turn your pc off first and then plug them in?

oh yea forgot to mention that, I've tried. My PC doesnt turn on afterwards

sounds like a psu issue have you tried the fan instead of the others could be that the fans causing a short 

so as the title says, i have a rear fan and a cpu cooler fan plugged in my MB, but my front 2 fans are only plugged in with molex and when i try to plug in the connector it shuts down my computer.

Id like to get info on the fans but cant.

Then there's likely a short circuit occurring in the fan itself, the fan's connector, or somewhere in between. Possibly bad soldering of the wires onto the fan PCB

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

sounds like a psu issue have you tried the fan instead of the others could be that the fans causing a short 

yea I pretty much tried every fan in every connector possible, everytime a third one is plugged in it wont work

• 9 years later...

Hey so I know this post is extremely old and the original writer of it won’t see this but I had the exact same issue and I figured out the solution.

Sometimes with molex power connectors for fans they have a 4 pin motherboard header at the end DO NOT PLUG IN THE 4 PIN HEADER it will short your motherboard and if it doesn’t have good short protection you could fry it.

Find the 3 pin header from your fans and if they’re daisy chained you only have to plug in one, but make sure to plug in the 3 pin header and not the 4 pin header and your fans should work as intended (without 3 pin headers you can always plug in a 3 pin female into a 4 pin male if you plug the 3 female pins into the 3 left most pins of the 4 pin male).