Smart UPS

EmeraldFlame

So not sure whether this really fits here or not, put 'power supplies' was the closest category to 'Uninterruptable Power Supplies' so I went with it.

But anyway, I am looking for a UPS for my home server, and I don't have much experience with them other than swapping out batteries so I figured I would get your guys opinion on them.

My main requirements are that it needs to be a 'smart' UPS with a USB connection so that it shuts things down gracefully, and be able to support my server which can pull a peek of around 250W but typically stays closer to around 150ish. And I would like it to have an Ethernet surge protector. I don't really expect any runtime from these batteries, as long as it's long enough to let the computer shutdown, thats enough for me. I would also like to stick with APC or Tripp Lite simply because I trust those brands.

Additional functionality that isn't a 'must-have' but a 'would be nice', is the ability to support my workstation too, which could pull up to an additional 600ish watts, and be able to also gracefully shut it down.

I am looking currently at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111461

And it seems to meet what I need except as far as I can tell it only supports shutting down 1 system, not 2. But as I said, I don't know a ton about these things. Is this a good unit, or is there better out there for the price? Budget is right around $200 give or take.

So not sure whether this really fits here or not, put 'power supplies' was the closest category to 'Uninterruptable Power Supplies' so I went with it.

But anyway, I am looking for a UPS for my home server, and I don't have much experience with them other than swapping out batteries so I figured I would get your guys opinion on them.

My main requirements are that it needs to be a 'smart' UPS with a USB connection so that it shuts things down gracefully, and be able to support my server which can pull a peek of around 250W but typically stays closer to around 150ish. And I would like it to have an Ethernet surge protector. I don't really expect any runtime from these batteries, as long as it's long enough to let the computer shutdown, thats enough for me. I would also like to stick with APC or Tripp Lite simply because I trust those brands.

Additional functionality that isn't a 'must-have' but a 'would be nice', is the ability to support my workstation too, which could pull up to an additional 600ish watts, and be able to also gracefully shut it down.

I am looking currently at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842111461

And it seems to meet what I need except as far as I can tell it only supports shutting down 1 system, not 2. But as I said, I don't know a ton about these things. Is this a good unit, or is there better out there for the price? Budget is right around $200 give or take.

That's a fairly good price for that unit, since it is a pure sine wave output you should have no problems since some PSU's PFC(power factor correction) aren't too kind about stepped or simulated sine wave forms the PSU will auto shut down once battery kicks in. As for the smart feature it only work with one computer from what I know, I'm pretty sure there is a way to do multiple systems but not to my knowledge.