I wonder just how did my 970s destroy my PSU?

Bhav

So a couple of days ago I got a pair of gigabyte 970s.

I removed my old MSI Lightning 680 SLI, installed the new 970s, turn on PC.

It barely booted into windows, and switched off. It wouldn't switch on again until I changed my PSU.

The PSU that got slain by a pair of 970s was a 3-4 month old Antec HCP 1300w (I only got it because it was on a today only for £149, and has a 7 year warranty anyway).

Using my previous PSU atm, 850w XFX BE.

Linus is my fetish.

Could of been static from you when you where changing the cards but I doubt it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I have a corsair carbide air 540 case with the PSU isolated in the back, and I use akasa extension cables running to everything on the motherboard, so all I touched from the PSU were the 4 PCI-E extension cables.

I bought that PSU because I thought it wouldn't die, and also its 94% efficient at 600-700w usage. But now it died. I havnt bothered posting it back for RMA yet, will do next week.

Linus is my fetish.

:o

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I've heard of PSUs destroying cards, never the other way around. Can you test the PSU in another system?

I unplugged everything from the PSU other than the motherboard. The motherboard lights came on, but when I pressed the power button, the CPU fans would only turn on for about 1 second then turn off.

Then I swapped to my old PSU and the motherboard and fans powered on fine, plus everything else after I connected it so it was a dead PSU. And only just purchased in July and supposed to be one of the best and most reliable QQ.

Linus is my fetish.

My guess is that it happend random. Nothing to do with the 970

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Hmm, maybe just turning the case onto its side and back up did something, or as you say just random.

I have an RMA number from OCUK, and also need to send an angry Email to Antec.

Always always have a spare PSU. And my XFX BE is still a very nice one for a spare.

Linus is my fetish.

When opening up your pc there's always a slim chance of damaging some components. Maybe something got into the psu and damaged it, who knows. I really doubt it was the 970s.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*