GTX 980 Reference Vs. Custom

Mr_Bones757

I'm planning on building a new PC using the x99 platform.

My dilemma is in regards to the graphics card I should use. In Australia, a reference GTX 980 goes for around $780 (ish) where as the ASUS STRIX 980 Retails for around $870.

Which of these should I go with? Should I grab a reference 980 with the intensions of water-cooling it later, or should I go with thru ASUS STRIX 980 and be done with it.

Any on topic advice with reasons and explanation is appreciated.

Thanks!

I live in Australia as well and i would just get the reference. Look at PCCG its about $730 for EVGA reference.

i7 4790k | ASUS Z97 Gryphon | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz | Asus Direct CUII GTX 770 1267/3829 | Stock Cooler | Antec Neo Eco 520W | WD Green 1TB

Silverstone TJ08-e | Klipsch Promedia 2.1 | Razer Tiamat 2.2 | LG 24EN43VS | Razer Naga (2010) | Razer Lycosa (2010)

Planned PC Upgrades: https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=325661&action=wish_lists

i got reference getting higher overclock then the review websites have given any of the other cards so far or i am just lucky. but the ref card is more than capable of cooling these chips just maybe not as quiet as the passive jobs asus and evga has

i got reference getting higher overclock then the review websites have given any of the other cards so far or i am just lucky. but the ref card is more than capable of cooling these chips just maybe not as quiet as the passive jobs asus and evga has

But the reference looks really sexy.

If you are going to water cool it then it doesn't matter just get a reference as it's usually cheaper because you're going to be taking off the cooler anyway so I see no reason in getting an ASUS Strix for example, you'll be paying more for the same chip and tearing off the cooler anyway. Just go EVGA reference.

From Australia myself.

Here's my GTX980 experience, I've tried a Reference eVGA GTX980 SC and a custom Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming.

The Strix was completely out of the question due to the 90c vrm's when the G1 Gaming keeps them at 65c, and I wanted to keep the card on air.

Now if you're like me and really don't want to water cool go the custom cooler, I know they cost more, but its worth it in the end.

My personal preference is the G1 Gaming due to the lower temps and higher overclocks (Stock temps never go over 68c with a 26c ambient).

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1693&products_id=29142

In the end it does come down to the buyer what they like more.