APU Upgrade - Can I expect any performance boost in gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

I also think moving from an A8 to A10 is going to be a minimal upgrade, and not worth the money. 

Your APU is doing what it is designed to do.  Light gaming.

If you are wanting to get better performance, you are looking at a dedicated GPU, and dedicated CPU.

This is expensive for laptops, and heat is often an issue, as you can already attest to.

In order to get the best gaming performance, you will need to buy a desktop PC, and pick and choose your parts and put it together yourself.

I have an Asus k55n - sa80403v currently running with an AMD A8-4500m. It usually fits my gaming habits in the mid to light range, but as of lately it seems to be falling short when ever I push it. With this in mind, I decided to upgrade my apu from the AMD A8-5000m to the A10-5750m. Before I make this upgrade, I would like to know just what performance boost I can expect for the games I play. 

Specs:
WmpL1bK.png

Note: I have a single 4gb module installed. I definitely plan on bumping it up to 8gb some time soon.

AMD A8-4500m(Trinity): http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-4500M-Notebook-Processor.74884.0.html
AMD A10-5750m(Richland): http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-5750M-Notebook-Processor.92882.0.html

Just to give you guys a general idea of my gameplay experience, I've added a list. It's not very detailed, but it should paint a picture. 

Games I can run:
Skyrim - High/medium
CS: Go - High
Bioshock Infinite: Medium
Bioshock infinite - Burial at sea: Medium
Outlast: Medium
Mortal Kombat Komplete: Low
Naruto Shippuden - Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: Low/Medium
Titanfall: Seemed to run fine at launch. Low/medium

Games I can't run:
Watch Dogs (Extreme Lag when driving)
Middle Earth - Shadows of Mordor (10 fps on intro. 17-20 elsewhere)
Tomb raider: (20-25 fps on full low)
Planet Side 2: Barely manage 15 fps online

Trinity to Richland is barely any performance increase, however power management was increased. 

Keep in mind though that processor upgrade on a laptop is hit and miss, it might work, it might not.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

get a disrete gpu it will be the best part

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

WmpL1bK.png

98 degrees?!

If you're hitting those temps during gaming then your APU is getting throttled like hell. Give your laptop a thorough cleaning and make sure you use it somewhere that isn't blocking the fan.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

98 degrees?!

If you're hitting those temps during gaming then your APU is getting throttled like hell. Give your laptop a thorough cleaning and make sure you use it somewhere that isn't blocking the fan.

I actually have it under a cooler. I believe this is the graphics and the processor combined due to it being an APU. Seriously, there's no noticeable heat blowing out :3

I actually have it under a cooler. I believe this is the graphics and the processor combined due to it being an APU. Seriously, there's no noticeable heat blowing out :3

Any chance you could get temp readings with something like HWmonitor? It should not be at 98c, even with graphics and processor combined. I had an Acer laptop before and it had an A10, maximum temps under load were 75c.

I doubt an A10 is going to make enough of a difference to make unplayable games playable. Amusing, though, in the case of APU's I wonder if the 8 GB upgrade would make a bigger impact, as your 4 GB has to be shared and used as VRAM.

Any chance you could get temp readings with something like HWmonitor? It should not be at 98c, even with graphics and processor combined. I had an Acer laptop before and it had an A10, maximum temps under load were 75c.

ddQwv6I.png

^^

I doubt an A10 is going to make enough of a difference to make unplayable games playable. Amusing, though, in the case of APU's I wonder if the 8 GB upgrade would make a bigger impact, as your 4 GB has to be shared and used as VRAM.

hmmmm. 

ddQwv6I.png

^^

25500 RPM... these sensors are bonked af lol

I also think moving from an A8 to A10 is going to be a minimal upgrade, and not worth the money. 

If you are wanting to get better performance, you are looking at a dedicated GPU, and dedicated CPU.

This is expensive for laptops, and heat is often an issue, as you can already attest to.

In order to get the best gaming performance, you will need to buy a desktop PC, and pick and choose your parts and put it together yourself.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

25500 RPM... these sensors are bonked af lol

Yea. I guess I can either forget about the readings, or do an external read.

This is the sad, but real truth. However, I only have a 400$ budget for Christmas. Adding a pc build would take out my whole list. I was thinking about a sff pre-build like the zbox or brix, but I don't think  sff are ready yet.

This is the sad, but real truth. However, I only have a 400$ budget for Christmas. Adding a pc build would take out my whole list. I was thinking about a sff pre-build like the zbox or brix, but I don't think  sff are ready yet.

For gaming the Zbox and Brix will be even worse, so wouldn't consider that as an option.

Yea. I guess I can either forget about the readings, or do an external read.

I'm glad that you realize this instead of trying to fight it.  A lot of people that forum members offer advice to are very stubborn.

I'm sorry that this is the harsh reality of your situation, but your head is in the right place.

Your best course of action will be to save money so that you can give a gaming computer the proper components that it deserves.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."