Will my onboard audio handle these?

nuclear465

So i am on the market to get a new headset and these realy catch my attention - Kingston HyperX Cloud.

My budget is 100€ max, these HyperX are around 90€.

Most of the headsets that i have been searching around have similar specs (40 mm drivers, 32 omhs impedance, 99 db spl, 20 hz to 20 khz), but the HyperX Cloud is a little bit different (53 mm drivers, 60 ohms impedance, 99db spl, 15 hz to 25 khz) and it has been getting pretty good reviews around the web, that it is good for gaming and for music.

I am looking for a balanced headset that is good for musci and gaming so i was aiming at these HyperX Cloud headset.

But my concern is that if my onboard audio will have enough power to drive those 60 ohms impedance headphones? (i have an MSI Z87 G45 gaming motherboard with realtek ACL1150 audio codec)

Thanks guys ;) 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

Well i can say that i have the hyper x cloud on my on board and it sounds great! Hope that helps!

I run my own indie game company called Color Dragon Studios where we are currently making a 2d platformer game called Small Earth.

So i am on the market to get a new headset and these realy catch my attention - Kingston HyperX Cloud.

My budget is 100€ max, these HyperX are around 90€.

Most of the headsets that i have been searching around have similar specs (40 mm drivers, 32 omhs impedance, 99 db spl, 20 hz to 20 khz), but the HyperX Cloud is a little bit different (53 mm drivers, 60 ohms impedance, 99db spl, 15 hz to 25 khz) and it has been getting pretty good reviews around the web, that it is good for gaming and for music.

I am looking for a balanced headset that is good for musci and gaming so i was aiming at these HyperX Cloud headset.

But my concern is that if my onboard audio will have enough power to drive those 60 ohms impedance headphones? (i have an MSI Z87 G45 gaming motherboard with realtek ACL1150 audio codec)

Thanks guys ;)

Ummm let me ask you this first then. If you'd have to choose between 2 options:

Option 1:

a headphone that's relatively good, but can't be driven properly with an onboard, meaning you'd have to add a bit more to get a basic amp (like the Fiio E6, which is $27 on amazon.com). If the money isn't available right away, meaning you might have to save up a little more.

Option 2:

a headphone that can be driven properly with an onboard alone, but doesn't sound as good as option 1

Which one would you choose?

The above is the worst case scenario. In most cases, there shouldn't be a problem with 60ohms + 99dB spl (these are the 2 parameters to see if your device can drive the headphone properly or not).

Ummm let me ask you this first then. If you'd have to choose between 2 options:

Option 1:

a headphone that's relatively good, but can't be driven properly with an onboard, meaning you'd have to add a bit more to get a basic amp (like the Fiio E6, which is $27 on amazon.com). If the money isn't available right away, meaning you might have to save up a little more.

Option 2:

a headphone that can be driven properly with an onboard alone, but doesn't sound as good as option 1

Which one would you choose?

The above is the worst case scenario. In most cases, there shouldn't be a problem with 60ohms + 99dB spl (these are the 2 parameters to see if your device can drive the headphone properly or not).

Well i can't call myself an audiophile but i like good quality sound and i can tell the difference between those chinese cheap headphones and premium quality ones. But i am not willing to spend a lot of money on headphones and amps or dacs. I just want a headset that gets the job done and sounds good.

I have been using SteelSeries Spectrum 4XB that i originally bought for xbox360, they sound good to me, but the right headphone wire is broken, so i am looking for a new headset. I will be fixing my old headset and give it to my brother.

So i believe option 2 is my choice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

I'd used the onboard audio on my Asus Crosshair V Formula (SupremeFX X-Fi 2) and I had no problem driving that headset......

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2