Thinking of getting the corsair hydro h100i

Go to solution Solved by Clyne,

The main reason I was looking at this one was the corsair link software to change the backlight led color of the block, I need something with a red led and the h100i allows you to change it 

You could get the h105 and put a red color accent ring on the cpu block.....

So I am contemplating getting an h100i due to wanting to OC my new i5 4690k, but before I buy it, I do have one question where I am hoping someone could help me with -

Attached in this pic - you will see where I would like to mount the radiator - in the front of the case (I have removed both HDD trays to make room for this) but my concern is that the tubing from the rad wont reach the CPU.

front mount question

The case is 17.5" in length (not including front bezel) and 18.5" tall - the distance that would be traveled from the Rad to the CPU is aprox 12-13" just by rough measurements

Question is, do you think the tubing would be long enough for this to be a valid way of mounting?

Spoiler

Your sure about the h100i? Yhey have a mounting problem that may happen on some of their coolers and can be fix by using the washer method.

I fucking hate my piece of shit H100i, Im on my 3rd one waiting to send it in because its broken.

Your sure about the h100i? Yhey have a mounting problem that may happen on some of their coolers and can be fix by using the washer method.

The main reason I was looking at this one was the corsair link software to change the backlight led color of the block, I need something with a red led and the h100i allows you to change it 

I fucking hate my piece of shit H100i, Im on my 3rd one waiting to send it in because its broken.

Yikes, that is no bueno, I would rethink my choice at this point, but the only other one Ive found with changable LED colors was Swiftech 240x, but thats top mount only, and I need front mount

Spoiler

So it looks like the accent ring is red but its not led? I guess I am on planning to put some red LED light strips in there, and the cooler got excellent reviews - would be the next best thing. 

Do you think it would reach from the front mount to the CPU without problems?

Spoiler

So I am contemplating getting an h100i due to wanting to OC my new i5 4690k, but before I buy it, I do have one question where I am hoping someone could help me with -

Attached in this pic - you will see where I would like to mount the radiator - in the front of the case (I have removed both HDD trays to make room for this) but my concern is that the tubing from the rad wont reach the CPU.

The case is 17.5" in length (not including front bezel) and 18.5" tall - the distance that would be traveled from the Rad to the CPU is aprox 12-13" just by rough measurements

Question is, do you think the tubing would be long enough for this to be a valid way of mounting?

I would go for something cheaper, I doubt I will ever go back to water cooling for my cpu again. My h110 died and I bought a evo 212 to wait for the replacement. I can still hit the same exact overclock as the h110, my 4670k stays around 60-70c light to heavy gaming at 1.275V and 4.4ghz. 

So what I am saying is a 30 dollar cooler gives me enough cooling to maintain the same performance as I did with a $120 liquid cooling system. Go with an evo 212 or a mid range noctua. Anything beyond that is putting money in the toilet. Also 4690k supposedly runs a bit cooler than 4670k's

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

So it looks like the accent ring is red but its not led? I guess I am on planning to put some red LED light strips in there, and the cooler got excellent reviews - would be the next best thing. 

Do you think it would reach from the front mount to the CPU without problems?

it looks like this

H105_ring_red.png?h=210&thn=0&w=265

this guy got his h105 on the front panel

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/KDBmP6?comment_sort=oldest

I would go for something cheaper, I doubt I will ever go back to water cooling for my cpu again. My h110 died and I bought a evo 212 to wait for the replacement. I can still hit the same exact overclock as the h110, my 4670k stays around 60-70c light to heavy gaming at 1.275V and 4.4ghz. 

So what I am saying is a 30 dollar cooler gives me enough cooling to maintain the same performance as I did with a $120 liquid cooling system. Go with an evo 212 or a mid range noctua. Anything beyond that is putting money in the toilet. Also 4690k supposedly runs a bit cooler than 4670k's

I've been using a Seidon 120m on my AMD FX 6300 for quite some time now and have been enjoying it, getting great temps on my OC to 4.4 at 1.32v - Prior to it I actually did have a evo 212 on it but not OC'ed, I figured before I tried to OC it i would goto water to be on the safe side, just thinking of sticking with it due to the added benefit of extra cooling, and of course the "ohhh ahhh" factor

Spoiler

That's your opinion, it's up to the OP to decide he wants a h100i or not.

Plus each chip is different so the results may vary.....

That's your opinion, it's up to the OP to decide he wants a h100i or not.

Plus each chip is different so the results may vary.....

You right, it's my opinion. And by posting, that is exactly what he got. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

it looks like this

H105_ring_red.png?h=210&thn=0&w=265

this guy got his h105 on the front panel

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/KDBmP6?comment_sort=oldest

Looks like the rad is thicker than on the h100i with a thinner fin spacing, 120mm fans instead of 140mm, It looks like this is the front runner so far though. 

Its more expensive than the h100i for some reason...

Spoiler

Looks like the rad is thicker than on the h100i with a thinner spacing, 120mm fans instead of 140mm, It looks like this is the front runner so far though. 

Its more expensive than the h100i for some reason...

and again, you won't encounter the mounting problem on the h100i

You right, it's my opinion. And by posting, that is exactly what he got. 

I respect your opinion, the evo 212 is a hell of a cooler, and I know this from using it myself, just never put an OC against it - I really dont want to go back to air if I dont have to, and my budget allows me to spend a little extra on the cool factor  :D

Spoiler

and again, you won't encounter the mounting problem on the h100i

Off Topic: So Bubblewhale, your in the puget sound area eh? So am I! Greetings from Bremerton! 

Spoiler

Off Topic: So Bubblewhale, your in the puget sound area eh? So am I! Greetings from Bremerton! 

Well i live the the Seattle-Tacoma area, as for your question, you could go to Frys and see the product yourself. If you wanted to buy there and save some money, you can price match online prices to save some money.

Well i live the the Seattle-Tacoma area, as for your question, you could go to Frys and see the product yourself. If you wanted to buy there and save some money, you can price match online prices to save some money.

Neweggs got it on promo actually for $99, which is the same as the h100i, so that's more than likely the way i'm going to go - thanks for the info

Spoiler

Neweggs got it on promo actually for $99, which is the same as the h100i, so that's more than likely the way i'm going to go - thanks for the info

You can still price match the Newegg's price at Frys's if you want it now......

I respect your opinion, the evo 212 is a hell of a cooler, and I know this from using it myself, just never put an OC against it - I really dont want to go back to air if I dont have to, and my budget allows me to spend a little extra on the cool factor  :D

Thank you, but like I said I have only seen it hit 70c when all cores are being pushed to the max. When my h110 gets back from rma I think I am going to sell it. 

You can still price match the Newegg's price at Frys's if you want it now......

I'd end up spending more money on gas and toll bridge fees or car+ferry ride over there - I dont mind waiting, haha

Spoiler

Stay far away from the H100i.  It has a very bad mounting problem and it is not guaranteed to work for everyone out of the box without modifications.  Also, the tubing on all AIOs except NZXT's are 12in, which isn't going to be enough to mount it to the front of your case.  Is it possible to mount it on the top?

If not, you are looking at NZXT's X41/61.  They come with 16 inches of tubing, and are some of the best AIOs on the market.  They also come with the feature of being able to change the color of the LEDs on the pump.  The X41 is a 140mm AIO, but it is thick, and is supposed to perform similarly to the H100i.  The X61 is one of the best AIOs period.  It is 280mm, so make sure it fits.  If it does, this is going to be one of the best options.

If you can mount an AIO to the roof of your case, and you live in the U.S., I STRONGLY recommend the Cooler Master Seidon 240M from Newegg.com for $60-$70.  It performs as good, if not better than the H100i, doesn't have mounting problems, and is extremely quiet.  It does only have 12 inch tubing though, so you will be limited to where you can mount it.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Stay far away from the H100i.  It has a very bad mounting problem and it is not guaranteed to work for everyone out of the box without modifications.  Also, the tubing on all AIOs except NZXT's are 12in, which isn't going to be enough to mount it to the front of your case.  Is it possible to mount it on the top?

If not, you are looking at NZXT's X41/61.  They come with 16 inches of tubing, and are some of the best AIOs on the market.  They also come with the feature of being able to change the color of the LEDs on the pump.  The X41 is a 140mm AIO, but it is thick, and is supposed to perform similarly to the H100i.  The X61 is one of the best AIOs period.  It is 280mm, so make sure it fits.  If it does, this is going to be one of the best options.

If you can mount an AIO to the roof of your case, and you live in the U.S., I STRONGLY recommend the Cooler Master Seidon 240M from Newegg.com for $60-$70.  It performs as good, if not better than the H100i, doesn't have mounting problems, and is extremely quiet.  It does only have 12 inch tubing though, so you will be limited to where you can mount it.

If i were to mount any of the coolers to the roof, the rad would have to be on the exterior of the case, which I would rather not do - So the tubing is only 12" long for the corsair cooler? That is a bummer

Spoiler

If i were to mount any of the coolers to the roof, the rad would have to be on the exterior of the case, which I would rather not do - So the tubing is only 12" long for the corsair cooler? That is a bummer

It is only 12 inches for every cooler except NZXT.

NZXT makes amazing AIOs though.  They also have the feature where you can change the color of the LED on the pump, so that is a feature you like.  The next thing you should do is check to see if your case can support dual 140mm in the front.  If you can, then you should get an NZXT X61.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

It is only 12 inches for every cooler except NZXT.

NZXT makes amazing AIOs though.  They also have the feature where you can change the color of the LED on the pump, so that is a feature you like.  The next thing you should do is check to see if your case can support dual 140mm in the front.  If you can, then you should get an NZXT X61.

Lookin around at them right now - also checked pcpartpicker and it does say the h105 is compatible with my case, but only the nzxt x31 and x41 are showing as compatible...

Spoiler

Lookin around at them right now - also checked pcpartpicker and it does say the h105 is compatible with my case, but only the nzxt x31 and x41 are showing as compatible...

They are probably assuming that it is for the top mounting.  Look at your case yourself, don't look online.  Look to see if it has mounting spots for 2x 140mm fans in the front.

Another option is your rear fan, if it has room for a 140mm.