780 vs. 970?

CaptainKoda

Match the cards to the same exact clocks and see who comes out on top. That's apples to apples.

Then this is no longer apples to apples since both are on different architectures and have wildly different amount of cores.  Just being at the same clock speed isn't gonna give you your apples to apples comparison.  It is being what it is, on average the 970 will beat the 780 90% of the time.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Anyway somehow you gained 7.7 fps, are you sure you ran the same settings he did? Seems kind of odd and peculiar that you would gain 7.7fps at the same clocks. That's quite a percentage increase. 

I ran the exact benchmark and settings he ran. Maybe he was throttling? I ran it a bunch of times and i get the same result. The G1 is a better card overall compared to the Strix. Better cooling all around and better power delivery.

I actually score better in Heaven compared to Valley.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Then this is no longer apples to apples since both are on different architectures and have wildly different amount of cores.  Just being at the same clock speed isn't gonna give you your apples to apples comparison.  It is being what it is, on average the 970 will beat the 780 90% of the time.

The point is to prove that the 900 series isn't as hyped up as people are trying to make it seem. If you need to clock a GPU core to 1400MHz to surpass a card at 900MHz you obviously aren't that efficient of an architecture. As soon as you overclock the 700 series they catch up very quickly because they respond to overclocking better than the 900 series does. Which is why you find OC for OC the 900 series getting matched and beaten by the 700 series at lower clocks at times.  

By putting them at the same clocks you are making it a fair playing field. You can't compare a card at nearly 1400MHz to a card at 900MHz and say look how much better card A is than card B. That's just asinine. 

The point is to prove that the 900 series isn't as hyped up as people are trying to make it seem. If you need to clock a GPU core to 1400MHz to surpass a card at 900MHz you obviously aren't that efficient of an architecture. As soon as you overclock the 700 series they catch up very quickly because they respond to overclocking better than the 900 series does. Which is why you find OC for OC the 900 series getting matched and beaten by the 700 series at lower clocks at times.  

By putting them at the same clocks you are making it a fair playing field. You can't compare a card at nearly 1400MHz to a card at 900MHz and say look how much better card A is than card B. That's just asinine. 

If you look at clocks on HWbot you see the core clocks are relatively the same between the two series. The 900 series boosts a hell of a lot more though.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Then in the same manner you cannot compare a 780 with 2304 cores against a 970 with 1664 cores.  A 970 does with less cores what a 780 can with more cores, albeit at higher clock speeds vs lower clock speeds.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I ran the exact benchmark and settings he ran. Maybe he was throttling? I ran it a bunch of times and i get the same result. The G1 is a better card overall compared to the Strix. Better cooling all around and better power delivery.

I actually score better in Heaven compared to Valley.

Maybe.

What's your top score in Heaven, @ what clocks.

If you look at clocks on HWbot you see the core clocks are relatively the same between the two series. The 900 series boosts a hell of a lot more though.

Not all the time, I'm looking at the Fire Strike world rankings and right there is a 980 @ 1935MHz below a 780 Ti @ 1721MHz. Go to Fire Strike Extreme and you find a 980 @ 1995MHz below a 780 Ti 1900MHz. 

Then in the same manner you cannot compare a 780 with 2304 cores against a 970 with 1664 cores.  A 970 does with less cores what a 780 can with more cores, albeit at higher clock speeds vs lower clock speeds.

Yes, which brings me to my point. They need to clock the 970 significantly higher to surpass a 780. Even though they can surpass the 780 with less cores at higher clocks; once you bring the 780 closer to the clocks of the 970 instead of benching them stock. The performance differences between the two diminishes. Which means that these cards are on par with each other at best, if you do not want to conclude that one performs better than the other.