Reinstall Win 8

theonlyBuster
Go to solution Solved by Speedbird,

That's an OEM key, these don't work with that. You can get the official ISO from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0W9PBigPy94aVJWSndyTFNFMzg/preview?pli=1

I have used it, and it worked.

I just purchased a laptop second hand from a friend. 

It has Windows 8.  I wanted to totally wipe all of his information AND start with a fresh install of the OS.  Half way into it, I got an error that said "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8"

The version of Win8 is RIGHT off the Microsoft website.  And the Key I'm using is the laptop's original key - it's even on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

I searched the internet and there seem to be 10 different answers.  You guys have never steered me wrong, so I figured I'd reach out to the masses here for help/advice. 

Brand: Asus Laptop

Does not contain factory reformat partition.

**I don't mind re-installing drivers and such. I honestly expect to.

Try the generic key install and then change it after install.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

For future reference, you can create recovery/reinstall media from any computer running windows 8/8.1 and maybe 7 as well. You download the setup file from microsoft and then just choose "install later from USB" during the setup process. You can also just use the built restore function in windows 8/8.1 to basically take the computer back to day 1 condition.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

That's an OEM key, these don't work with that. You can get the official ISO from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0W9PBigPy94aVJWSndyTFNFMzg/preview?pli=1

I have used it, and it worked.

Do you by chance have any alternative links? 

I've been trying since yesterday and it constantly says the file has been downloaded too many time within a specific time frame. 

For future reference, you can create recovery/reinstall media from any computer running windows 8/8.1 and maybe 7 as well. You download the setup file from microsoft and then just choose "install later from USB" during the setup process. You can also just use the built restore function in windows 8/8.1 to basically take the computer back to day 1 condition.

That's actually the method I'm using as I've typically done with Win7.  But even with Retail keys, this never posed a problem.  Wind8 appears to be different in this aspect. 

I've been trying since yesterday and it constantly says the file has been downloaded too many time within a specific time frame. 

Sorry dude, but that's the best link I found. Just keep trying, eventually you will get it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

That's actually the method I'm using as I've typically done with Win7.  But even with Retail keys, this never posed a problem.  Wind8 appears to be different in this aspect. 

You may also be able to contact microsoft or whoever makes the laptop and tell them what the issue is. I've done that with microsoft before, and so long as the original key is a valid one, they've always gotten it taken care of for me.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC