Potential Bottleneck?

Hi, a friend foolishly bought a gtx 970 by gainward...

He has an ancient i7 920 cpu, a pcie 2.0x4 mobo and 6gb Ram.

Will this cause a bottle neck?

Thanks

Yes and no. Just depends on game honestly.

He will be playing sleeping dogs, alien isolation, bf4 and some game from 2004.

Thanks

What Mobo in particular? if it has Pcie 2.0 8x (if it's an x4 I'm not certain) should be bottleneck free... 6GB of RAM won't make a difference either even watch dogs only uses ~5GB... and only Crysis(3) Battlefield(3+4+Hardline soon) and Farcry(3+4) can use an i7 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

What Mobo in particular? if it has Pcie 2.0 8x (if it's an x4 I'm not certain) should be bottleneck free... 6GB of RAM won't make a difference either even watch dogs only uses ~5GB... and only Crysis(3) Battlefield(3+4+Hardline soon) and Farcry(3+4) can use an i7

I'm not sure which mobo it is but it definitely had pcie 2.0 x4 cos it says

Thanks

If the mobo is only pcie 2.0x4 then the graphics card wont work at all !

because all geforce cards need atleast pci-e x8 !

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

If the mobo is only pcie 2.0x4 then the graphics card wont work at all !

because all geforce cards need atleast pci-e x8 !

I though the requirement of x8 was only necessary for SLI, and single Cards should work just fine by themselves in an x4 slot..

Regardless, that CPU is fairly old so an upgrade would probably be a good decision.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I though the requirement of x8 was only necessary for SLI, and single Cards should work just fine by themselves in an x4 slot..

Regardless, that CPU is fairly old so an upgrade would probably be a good decision.

I don't think it would work even if it were one single card ! 

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

The graphics card won't fit in a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot since the GTX 970 is a PCIe 3.0 x16.

Thanks

The graphics card won't fit in a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot since the GTX 970 is a PCIe 3.0 x16.

I'm not sure which mobo it is but it definitely had pcie 2.0 x4 cos it says

I'd definitely double check that  but  worst comes to worst its a slight bottle neck... Tell your friend to upgrade his CPU and Mobo(and possibly RAM) next time and just keep the card....

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Why would anyone buy a 4xPCIe mobo with an expensive core i7? Are you sure it isn't at least an 8x? CPU without integrated graphics wouldn't have made any sense 4 years ago, especially for the price...

I have an i7 930 and a gtx 780. Sure, there's a benefit to having a better CPU, but I'm yet to find a game that will bottleneck a 780 with my gpu at 3.8GHz. I can only think of Planetside2 in massive battles and even that is mostly due to the game engine itself. The PCIe lanes might become a problem though

Not all 4x slots are physically 4x in length with a closed end. Depending on the board manufacturer they can be a 16x length with 4x wiring, or 4x length with an open end to let longer cards fit (same result with data transferring either way though).

Even if they were physically only 4x length with a close end, a careful hand and tool can cut open the end to make a longer card fit in (it's most likely LONG out of warranty anyway).