Steam prices

hiyayhi

So I watched the WAN show, and I would like to comment on the whole Steam displaying stuff in USD.

I have no problem with everything in steam being USD, but I live in Australia and we get our prices displayed in USD but we get stooged anyway becasue some games are more expensive anyway...

For example, Shadow of Mordor is 50 dollars for the base game in the US and 70 in AUS.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Meh stop crying, the australian dollar is worth less than the american so it costs more for you, europeans get especially fucked when we have to pay the same 60 price tag in euros or pounds as you guys or american prices.

It depends on a country you live, not the currency. For ex. for me Watch_Dogs only costs 22$ or Witcher 3 27$ while for US I believe t was 60 or 50$

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Meh stop crying, the australian dollar is worth less than the american so it costs more for you, europeans get especially fucked when we have to pay the same 60 price tag in euros or pounds as you guys or american prices.

That is exactly my point, different currencies get fucked over. But I don't think you understood me, we see the prices in US, we pay for them in US too, so we get whacked with the conversion cost as well as it being displayed at a higher price.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

i brought F1 2014 off greenmangaming for $37.50 USD, normally $50 USD

www.greenmangaming.com

worth checking them out

they always have discount vouchers, so you can save a fair chunk of change

so it depends when, where and what you buy

Looking for a job

I've said a few times that steam has ridiculous pricing. I can buy the same thing in a retail store for sometimes 20-30% cheaper and still get a steam code.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Steam Australian store uses AU bucks. You must be using a VPN.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

There isn't a way to change the currency to your region in Steam?  If not, there should be.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

OK, first of all the prices that you see on the Steam store are not set by steam. All the prices are controlled by the games publishers. If you have beef with some game costing way too much for you take it up with them.

Also different regions of the world have different economic state. So for Germans 60€ might be comparable with 60$ US. I don't actually know how to properly compare the economic state and most games do ignore with some regions. But this is why some games are very cheap in places like India.

Another thing is that publishers love regional pricing. And it's so bad that GOG has trouble getting some games onto their platform because they didn't offer it. And there are also legal stuff that forces publishers to do regional pricing. GOG found it out back when The WItcher 2 was released on GOG and some EU legal people forced them to apply regionally different prices on that game. Now I'm not a lawyer so I don't know all the ins and out of that situation. But I know that a lot of the time there isn't much to do other the suck it up.

And here's a nice site to compare Steam regional prices

www.steamprices.com

I really don't have an understanding of this subject. I don't know whether it's Valve, the game publishers or the lawmakers to blame. Maybe it's done by some publishers to maintain some kind of parity with the cost of physical game discs in that country.

All I know is regional pricing for digital goods needs to die. The Internet has made us all one big community when it comes to digital services. Regional restrictions on the Internet feels like the remnant of a bygone era.