maximus vii hero bad oc?

Hello LLT forumers! I've made a few posts asking about oc and really like how helpful the community is. And as I said before I was gonna get a z97 hero mobo for my new red themed build but so far there has been a biiiig trouble bugs me a lot.

My previous setup was my 4670k with the Asrock Z87 extreme 4. It was able to get to 4.6 at 1.335v stable with temps below 85. I've run more than 6 hours of Aida 64 on it and bout 2 weeks of casual gaming and stuff before i changed to the z97 hero so I believe it's stable.

The problem is after I switched my mobo. I wasn't able to hit 4.6 anymore with setting as close to my previous setting as possible and even with 1.38v aida 64 won't run for more than 15 mins. Out of a sudden I need so much more voltage to oc my CPU with a supposingly more feature mobo? I've tried disabling c state and all the other power saving feature as well and it just won't perform as good as the previous asrock mobo. It is really frustrating to get this and already I have updated to the latest bios on Asus :/ is there something that I'm missing in the bios that I have to set to make it run like how it was on the asrock board?

TL DR; I used to run 4.6 with 1.335v on my asrock motherboard and the Asus maximus vii hero isn't running well at all with the same voltage! Not even at 1.38v! Tried lots of settings on the bios and didn't help.

Tried load line calibration or the options under digi power control or whatever it was called, I forgot. Atleast with my VII Hero I can easily get better results than I ever did with my G1 Sniper M5

4770k Delid @ 4.5Ghz/1.25V w/ NH-D15, Maximus VII Hero, HyperX Beast 8GB 1600Mhz, GTX770 DCII OC, Strider Gold S 750W, 120GB 840 EVO, 2TB Barracuda, No case : D

Quickfire TK (MX Brown), Naos 7000, 128GB Surface Pro 2, 32GB G2 With Lightning Rom V4

Tried load line calibration or the options under digi power control or whatever it was called, I forgot. Atleast with my VII Hero I can easily get better results than I ever did with my G1 Sniper M5

Yeah I've tried LLC at lv1,5, and even as high as 9. None of em actually worked. Not too sure about the digi iii thing tho which one iin particular? But I've read thru the z87 maximus guide from Asus and did everything I can. So far hasn't helped at all. :/

I would think maybe the CPU's OC capability got degraded when taking it out (probably wrong but just a guess)

Hmm that's quite a guess. I've replaced the thermal paste a few times but haven't thought of reseating the CPU. Ill try that Tmr and maybe try to remove the extension sleeved cable as well and try it again.

hao1437 You should be able to get a very similar overclock using the same cpu, so there must be some automatic setting on the asrock that hasn't been enabled on your M7H.  

Have you also been overclocking the uncore (CPU cache ratio) at the same time?  Sometimes instability can arise from a large discrepancy between the core ratio and uncore ratio.  Try setting your cpu cache voltage to 1.3 and the cache ratio to 41.  

Also, set your load line calibration to 7 (that's what I use and it gave me the most stable result), and up your CPU current capability to 120%.  Load line calibration should have very little effect on overclocks for devil's canyon cpus, but it's possible that it is affecting yours.  

1.335V is pretty high for a 4.6 GHz overclock, and 1.38V is getting very, very high.  Make sure that you're using manual voltage while validating your overclocks.  

What version of the bios are you running?  Check for a newer version.  Sometimes stability can be greatly increased by using a newer bios (be sure to write down all of the settings that you changed, as they won't be retained).  

Are you using an X.M.P. profile for your memory?  That can also improve stability.  

Those are a few suggestions off the top of my head.  Give them a shot and let us know what happens.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

hao1437 You should be able to get a very similar overclock using the same cpu, so there must be some automatic setting on the asrock that hasn't been enabled on your M7H.

Have you also been overclocking the uncore (CPU cache ratio) at the same time? Sometimes instability can arise from a large discrepancy between the core ratio and uncore ratio. Try setting your cpu cache voltage to 1.3 and the cache ratio to 41.

Also, set your load line calibration to 7 (that's what I use and it gave me the most stable result), and up your CPU current capability to 120%. Load line calibration should have very little effect on overclocks for devil's canyon cpus, but it's possible that it is affecting yours.

1.335V is pretty high for a 4.6 GHz overclock, and 1.38V is getting very, very high. Make sure that you're using manual voltage while validating your overclocks.

What version of the bios are you running? Check for a newer version. Sometimes stability can be greatly increased by using a newer bios (be sure to write down all of the settings that you changed, as they won't be retained).

Are you using an X.M.P. profile for your memory? That can also improve stability.

Those are a few suggestions off the top of my head. Give them a shot and let us know what happens.

Hey queen you've been really helpful on my previous oc post. I'll look em up Tmr cause it's almost 4am here in Malaysia :P oh and I never knew CPU cache affects so much on the oc. I thought I can just leave it 5 multiplier lower with the same voltage as vcore. Will try that tomorrow too! And will have a detail screenshot or even upload my m7h settings profile Tmr :) and yeah I've tried running it on 1600 which is the xmp of my hyperx fury rams. Oh and one question tho I never had to option to choose xmp. It's always been auto or manual on my bios. Not sure why too. Have tried diff bios version and even leaving with only 2 sticks of similar ram it doesn't show xmp. Btw I'm currently in the latest bios from asus. Its 1104 or smth I forgot :P anyway! Will update more Tmr! Thank you guys :)

Oh I mean queek not queen. :P typed this on my phone so there's some typo.

Hey queen you've been really helpful on my previous oc post. I'll look em up Tmr cause it's almost 4am here in Malaysia :P oh and I never knew CPU cache affects so much on the oc. I thought I can just leave it 5 multiplier lower with the same voltage as vcore. Will try that tomorrow too! And will have a detail screenshot or even upload my m7h settings profile Tmr :) and yeah I've tried running it on 1600 which is the xmp of my hyperx fury rams. Oh and one question tho I never had to option to choose xmp. It's always been auto or manual on my bios. Not sure why too. Have tried diff bios version and even leaving with only 2 sticks of similar ram it doesn't show xmp. Btw I'm currently in the latest bios from asus. Its 1104 or smth I forgot :P anyway! Will update more Tmr! Thank you guys :)

Ok let us know.  That may mean that your board doesn't have an XMP profile for that memory yet, but as long as you set the manual timings and voltage correctly, it shouldn't matter too much.  

There's some wiggle room on the cache multiplier (it usually doesn't overclock as well as the core multiplier), but if it's drastically different (say 7x off at a guess) I've heard that can lead to stability.  Are there any bluescreen codes or Q-codes that have popped up while you had the errors?  Those could also help with the troubleshooting.  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Ok let us know. That may mean that your board doesn't have an XMP profile for that memory yet, but as long as you set the manual timings and voltage correctly, it shouldn't matter too much.

There's some wiggle room on the cache multiplier (it usually doesn't overclock as well as the core multiplier), but if it's drastically different (say 7x off at a guess) I've heard that can lead to stability. Are there any bluescreen codes or Q-codes that have popped up while you had the errors? Those could also help with the troubleshooting.

Hey so I've tried your solution and it doesn't seem to work either. Ram was set back to 1600 with the factory timing that I manually adjusted and still getting bsod of most commonly whea uncorrectable error. Seems to be the voltage with some googling.

Oh Btw I also have some sleeved extension on so could it be the issue? I'd try running it without the extension but since there wasn't any voltage drop at all or whatsoever with or without it so I don't think the extension would be it? Any other ideas on this? :/

Alright something positive here now! So I was so frustrated and I tried reseating the CPU and RAM, reapplying thermal paste to give it a last shot before I give up and let it run at stock.

I set it to 4.5ghz which I used to need 1.29 to be stable on my asrock mobo and run some real bench benchmark which i always fail previously and getting BSOD.

SURPRISINGLY! It was stable and i decided tonow it's running as low as 1.275 stable 4.5ghz with this! Passing 3 times benchmarking, where back then it barely go thru half a benchmark and bsod. Some amazing result really and also one of the changes I've made was changing the RAM timings to 10-10-10-30-1t instead of the previous one which was 2t. Could that be the reason too? Anyway I guess I'm really happy with it now and the temps are able to stay below 80 so I'll stick with this and let it run at adaptive after somemore stress testing :)

Also I really appreciate all of your help! :) thanks guys! :D

Alright something positive here now! So I was so frustrated and I tried reseating the CPU and RAM, reapplying thermal paste to give it a last shot before I give up and let it run at stock.

I set it to 4.5ghz which I used to need 1.29 to be stable on my asrock mobo and run some real bench benchmark which i always fail previously and getting BSOD.

SURPRISINGLY! It was stable and i decided tonow it's running as low as 1.275 stable 4.5ghz with this! Passing 3 times benchmarking, where back then it barely go thru half a benchmark and bsod. Some amazing result really and also one of the changes I've made was changing the RAM timings to 10-10-10-30-1t instead of the previous one which was 2t. Could that be the reason too? Anyway I guess I'm really happy with it now and the temps are able to stay below 80 so I'll stick with this and let it run at adaptive after somemore stress testing :)

Also I really appreciate all of your help! :) thanks guys! :D

If the ram timings weren't set correctly, that could cause some big problems.  That may have been your big issue.  Are those the timings specified on the manufacturers website?

Now that you've stabilized 4.5, try 4.6 again to see if it works now.  

@Queek Yeah I'm letting it runn on 4.6 now so far it has passed a real bench video encoding which never happened before on the same 1.335 voltage on this new mobo! Usually it just crash like 30% in the benchmark. So far it's Looking good. Still letting it run for now and I set it to go for about 10 benchmarking session.

@Queek okay.. so right before the last test on the first benchmark it crashed with clock watchdog timeout bsod. What shd I change then? :/

@Queek okay.. so right before the last test on the first benchmark it crashed with clock watchdog timeout bsod. What shd I change then? :/

What was the BSOD error code?  Did you make the changes I suggested above?

Yeah I did. And Btw it turns out to be the memory issues where the auto by Asus didn't go too well.

After I manually set as many value as possible for the memory I'm capable to keep it stable already with Aida 64 45 mins in :) I guess I'm going good here. Just gonna let it run for a few more hours then :D

Yeah I did. And Btw it turns out to be the memory issues where the auto by Asus didn't go too well.

After I manually set as many value as possible for the memory I'm capable to keep it stable already with Aida 64 45 mins in :) I guess I'm going good here. Just gonna let it run for a few more hours then :D

So does that mean good at 4.5 or good at 4.6?  

The auto settings can't get it perfect every time.  XMP profiles will set everything that should be set, but if an xmp profile doesn't exist for your memory, then setting it yourself is a good idea.  Incidentally, is the memory you're using listed in the QVL?  You may have one of those rare cases of incompatible memory.  

So does that mean good at 4.5 or good at 4.6?

The auto settings can't get it perfect every time. XMP profiles will set everything that should be set, but if an xmp profile doesn't exist for your memory, then setting it yourself is a good idea. Incidentally, is the memory you're using listed in the QVL? You may have one of those rare cases of incompatible memory.

Yeah in 4.6 :) and no the memory is not listed in the qvl. I'm using hyperx fury 4*4gb

Yeah in 4.6 :) and no the memory is not listed in the qvl. I'm using hyperx fury 4*4gb

Ok great.  You may see your memory added to the QVL at a later date, which should mean that there will be an XMP profile for it, which may improve your stability slightly.  

It sounds like we've solved your instability though.  Enjoy the new motherboard!  :D

Ok great. You may see your memory added to the QVL at a later date, which should mean that there will be an XMP profile for it, which may improve your stability slightly.

It sounds like we've solved your instability though. Enjoy the new motherboard! :D

Yeah I think everything is fine so far :D 4.6 goes well on aida for 3hours+ but I stopped it cause the temps were getting really high like 95 max on this new H440 case I have. Well I really liked how the case looks with the window so I'll sacrifice some airflow and cooling :P I'm running it on 4.4 now with temps below 80 :D thanks for the help!