So I dug around and found an old laptop. Ideas?

crystal6tak

It's an Asus M5200N.

Has an Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.60 Ghz and 248MB of RAM loaded with Win XP.

I was thinking of getting Win 8 or 7 on it but the 248MB of ram won't cut it. And there are certain drivers that aren't updated to Win 7 or 8. Searching around it uses PC2700 333MHz microDIMM memories and has 1 extra slot. In where I live I could get a 512MB stick for 32$ or a 1GB stick for 66$. I thought of using it as a dedicated Minecraft server but again the RAM won't cut it... Any ideas what to do with it? I was thinking maybe I could install a light Linux distro on it and try it out Linux for the first time. Anyways, you guys got any ideas?

You could try a very low power distro of linux like DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

That's what I put on my old Power Mac before the HDD died.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

-

Please follow your topics!

xubuntu or lubuntu are great options as they aren't very ram intensive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Install a SSD and Linux is something that i would do.

You could try a very low power distro of linux like DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

That's what I put on my old Power Mac before the HDD died.

xubuntu or lubuntu are great options as they aren't very ram intensive.

get a light linux distro and do some coding?

lol ok, got it, install DSL, xubuntu or lubuntu. Thanks xD. Sadly I don't know how to code, I'm learning though, only been a few weeks though.

You're not required to, I never do.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

You're not required to, I never do.

You don't HAVE to, but it's good practice for two reasons: first of all, if your topic doesn't get answered quickly you might just forget it and miss a useful answer added dome time later. Secondly, those who answer can't know if you did so on purpose or you forgot/ didn't know how to do it, which means they have to go through the extra step of quoting the op for no reason just to make sure the op sees the answer. Not to mention, a lot of members don't know how to do it and would like to, (I met a lot of them) so I just assume it's this case and try to help them by telling them how it's done.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*