Are Hitachi hard drives fine?

limetech

Hello,

I wanted cheap hard drives and Hitachi drives seems to meet my budget. I haven't tried Hitachi before so I would like to know if they perform well in the long run or should I just spend more for stuff like WD?

Your thoughts please. :)

I used Hitachi drive in my pc, and never had any problems with them.

What will the drive be used for?

Personally i use wd black and RE4 for system drives (or ssd's)

For anything else (storage/ raid) i just go for Hitachi or Seagate.

They are both excellent brands, and the fail-rate is (for me) the same across all brands.

Also please not the Hitachi (HGST) is now part of WD.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

My external HD uses a Hitachi drive. I'm using it for 2-3 years now - no problems so far.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Some Hitachi Deskstar (or what ever they are called), were very very loud. Besides that, they are decent.

I only owned one Hitachi Disk, it makes really annoying sounds while writing. Don't know if i had just bad luck or it happens more often, but except of the noise level the HDD was okay.

i have a 320gb in my pc and has been there for some months and everything is good it is not loud and works for what i need it to

any complaints regarding current hitachi deskstars 7k3000?

I've still got one that lives. I had two, both in individual random branded external USB cases. They or rather it now, can run noisy sometimes - almost scratchy but I think that may also have to do with the acousitcs of two solid chunks of draws and a hollow in the middle with a table top on top..

What's the pricing for you? Seagate Barracuda's start for 1TB at about $70..

I have used one of there external drives for Virtual OS for school and the VM program running on it abused it pretty well it is still going strong with no problem a cable quit me but that was about it.

• 1 month later...

They overall are not the best. Bottom tier brand. Never Cheap out on drives.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65

I have quiet a few of them at home - running in main and storage systems. Never had a failure yet. FYI - Hitachi makes (OEM) drives and systems for some of the worlds largest NAS and SAN companies. Great product.

If you go for the "cheapest" (other then some sale or rebate) doesn't really matter then brand, you are getting lower tier drives. If you go for higher end, Black/RE/Raptop/whatever then you get higher quality components, hence higher quality drive.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hitachi drives are great! I have two one is from 2004 (400Gigs) still spins and no bad sectors, new 2TB Hitachi on my new computer and still fine not one glitch. Then again same for the other drives, who only goes with one brand?

Also, they make great Enterprise drives as well, they are rocking and rolling in the server room and all fine!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I have a 320gb that is 6 years old and used for everything from a boot drive, external and so on. Its my main drive for my HTPC right now and going strong. Never had a problem with it.