physx card?

USMC1237
Go to solution Solved by Jodomcfrodo,

Is it worth doing if I just have an extra card lying around? I'm getting a 980 and my 560ti will just be sitting around.

not worth it. The 980 will do both no problem. 

What exactly is a physx card and how does it work? I have heard that it works with 2 GPU's that don't have the same chips in them. From what I have heard you could have a main card running graphics and another card calculating physx effects? Sorry for a noob question. Heck this might not even exsist.

you could have a main card running graphics and another card calculating physx effects.

It's just like that.

The only reason to do that in the first place was if you had an AMD card but now it work work anyway unless your main card is Nvidia.

Is it worth doing if I just have an extra card lying around? I'm getting a 980 and my 560ti will just be sitting around.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Ok thanks for the answers guys :)

If it were me with another card just laying around, I'd probably mess around with it and see what kind of performance difference (if any) I can find in PhysX-heavy games. No, you definitely don't need a dedicated PhysX card, but why not tinker when you've got the opportunity? Might be fun.

Beware that many power supplies may have some difficulty powering both cards unless designed for multiple GPUs. You'll need four PCIe power connectors (6- and/or 8-pin, no idea what they need) and a fairly robust continuous wattage. If there's any doubt, or if you need to use cable adapters or something, just skip it. On a side note, amusingly, the GTX 560 Ti probably draws a bit more power than the 980.

While it's not a 560ti that is mainly looked at in this article, their data definitely disagrees with the notion that adding a dedicated physx card to a high end main GPU--the 780ti in this case--isn't necessary. If you have it lying around anyway, and your power supply can handle both, then you should definitely toss it in there. Give it a read and decide for yourself, though.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/using-maxwells-gtx-750-ti-dedicated-physx-card/