Surface Pro 3 hardware update...maybe Connected Standby fixed for apps?

T.Vengeance

NOTE: I kinda overreacted. Apparently music still pauses, but the music app doesn't anymore. Perhaps this was always there and I never noticed it. For now, it still pisses me off that videos and music pause when you turn off the screen. Still, this post would serve as a reminder for those who turned off automatic updates.

/old post

For those of you who have the SP3 (including myself), make sure you update to the 2014-10-06 firmware update. When you press the button to turn off the display, things aren't put into pause anymore. That means your music will still play. Incoming SP3 review from me now :)

/end old post

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Looking forward to see it, dream device for me.

Looking forward to see it, dream device for me.

Goddamn, perhaps not so much of a dream device anymore. I just tested it with VLC and it's still pausing. I wish Microsoft would release the patch notes for this firmware update.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Goddamn, perhaps not so much of a dream device anymore. I just tested it with VLC and it's still pausing. I wish Microsoft would release the patch notes for this firmware update.

I wish I could afford one. :'((((

Is this only for the Pro 3?

I have the Pro 2 :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Is this only for the Pro 3?

I have the Pro 2 :D

Afaik, it's only for the 3. I kept trying to search for articles on it but I found none so far. All I've seen is this: 

83d7aed22fa62f5042809bf52ee091d3.png

Not even from Microsoft. Only that mysterious System Hardware Update popped up this afternoon.

I got so excited for it that I seriously thought Connected Standby was fixed...

Afaik, it's only for the 3. I kept trying to search for articles on it but I found none so far. All I've seen is this: 

83d7aed22fa62f5042809bf52ee091d3.png

Not even from Microsoft. Only that mysterious System Hardware Update popped up this afternoon.

I got so excited for it that I seriously thought Connected Standby was fixed...

That's one thing that I don't like about the Surface Pro line of devices. I want to listen to my music with the screen off FFS!!!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

That's one thing that I don't like about the Surface Pro line of devices. I want to listen to my music with the screen off FFS!!!

Definitely agreed. I think that's one of the major points that Microsoft failed at, despite an excellent device from them. Just this one point weighs down all the pros that this device has. It's completely device breaking, because it's not just limited to music, but also to downloads and wifi too. I'm not too sure who in Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to prevent downloading files in the background while the screen is turned off for power saving.

Definitely agreed. I think that's one of the major points that Microsoft failed at, despite an excellent device from them. Just this one point weighs down all the pros that this device has. It's completely device breaking, because it's not just limited to music, but also to downloads and wifi too. I'm not too sure who in Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to prevent downloading files in the background while the screen is turned off for power saving.

Yeah, for hailing this device as the perfect device to replace your tablet and laptop it sure does have a lot of obvious design flaws!

Though I think this is something that they should build into Windows 10, that way it's built in to Windows rather than something that requires a firmware update. Also so other manufacturers can easily implement this feature to their devices.

I think Microsoft needs to implement some sort of Surface Only software build, they have such an opportunity to optimize for battery life and efficiency but they are for the most part missing out.  Optimize Optimize Optimize Optimize Optimize!!!!!

Hail Sithis!

I have the pro 3 (bought it on September 1st) and I've played music from the default app with it still playing when i put the device in standby / when i multitask. Never had any issue with it at all.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I have the pro 3 (bought it on September 1st) and I've played music from the default app with it still playing when i put the device in standby / when i multitask. Never had any issue with it at all.

Oh alright, so I guess this was a false alarm. However, I'm pretty sure if you played music from any legacy windows programs like VLC, WMP, foobar, etc, they will pause when you press the power button to turn off the screen. Even Youtube videos will pause if the screen turns off. This is a definite flaw.

Oh alright, so I guess this was a false alarm. However, I'm pretty sure if you played music from any legacy windows programs like VLC, WMP, foobar, etc, they will pause when you press the power button to turn off the screen. Even Youtube videos will pause if the screen turns off. This is a definite flaw.

Just tested this and yes the youtube thing still happens with no audio after sleep. But I only used the Metro media player anyway so, oh well.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.