How fast will Windows 7 Boot ? WD Green Vs WD Raptor!

Dive5885

So out of generosity my dad brought me a WD Raptor 74GB 10K from work.

Of course I said Thank you and he proceeded telling me that I can put my Windows on this.

So here's my concern...

How fast will windows 7 Boot off this WD Raptor with nothing on it but the OS compared to my WD Green that has my OS and all my files loaded on it ?

So to sum it up.

WD Raptor - Windows 7 Only.

WD Green - Games and Files

Thanks for the help!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

potentially faster depending on where the OS is placed on the disc, the raptor runs at a high RPM right? so if they where placed on the exact same part of the disc the raptor would win

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

potentially faster depending on where the OS is placed on the disc, the raptor runs at a high RPM right? so if they where placed on the exact same part of the disc the raptor would win

Yeah it spins at 10000Rpm.

What do you mean by ''depending on where the OS is placed'' ?

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

Yep 10,000 RPM. 7,000 for the Green.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yep 10,000 RPM. 7,000 for the Green.

What are your thoughts ?

Yeah it spins at 10000Rpm.

What do you mean by ''depending on where the OS is placed'' ?

Hopefully this helps Linus talks a bout read speeds on HDD's at about 1min

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

What are your thoughts ?

If you already have the drive then use it. Though I wouldn't buy one an SSD is a better deal. It will be a bit faster, though I don't know how noticeably it will be.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Hi there,

In general the WD VelociRaptor should perform better than the WD Green. The Green line is designed for storage purposes like saving photos, videos, documents, etc. and offers big capacity and power management. However, I would not recommend installing OS, games, or demanding software on it. The VelociRaptor, on the other hand, is a drive, designed for some heavy usage. As you all stated, it runs at 10 000 RPM speed which exceeds the WD Green's.

It depends on your other hardware and software, but the VelociRaptor should perform better in terms of speed and reliability and I recommend you to move your OS and games there and use the WD Green for purely storage purposes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20 – some more details about the benefits of the WD VelociRaptor

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/

Hi there,

In general the WD VelociRaptor should perform better than the WD Green. The Green line is designed for storage purposes like saving photos, videos, documents, etc. and offers big capacity and power management. However, I would not recommend installing OS, games, or demanding software on it. The VelociRaptor, on the other hand, is a drive, designed for some heavy usage. As you all stated, it runs at 10 000 RPM speed which exceeds the WD Green's.

It depends on your other hardware and software, but the VelociRaptor should perform better in terms of speed and reliability and I recommend you to move your OS and games there and use the WD Green for purely storage purposes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20 – some more details about the benefits of the WD VelociRaptor

Hope this helps

It helps big time!

Thanks!