GPU advice

VonAnsorge
Go to solution Solved by VonAnsorge,

OK, thanks for your time. I´ll get that one.

HI guys, my first topic here, so I hope this is a correct section.

One of the fans on my r9 270 died and suprisingly i got a full refund instead of a repair (no complains :)). Because of the fact that I have no time for gaming during summer, I have been using integrated GPU ever since. But now it´s time for a new card.

I´m running i5 4440, 8 gigs of ram, 550W psu on resolution 1680x1050. Next year I want to upgrade my monitor to something with adaptivesync support (maybe G-sync but I am not sure that I want to lock my GPU upgrades to one brand because of my monitor, I mean I stick with one monitor for quite a long time), 1440p tops.

I am not quite impressed by r9 285 and gtx 970 is well beyond my budget, so waiting for gtx 960 is one option (atleast it should force AMD to drop prices a bit, if nothing else), 770 still costs the same despite nvidia´s price drop (Czech Republic) so that is not an option either.

Another option would be to get another 270 or perhaps 750 ti (costs aproximately 25% less).

Or the last option would be to buy some used crapy card and switch it with the hd 5770 in my old computer, that I gave to my parents (they do not game so they wouldn´t notice any difference), but I am not sure that this card is enough for current games. I don´t want to play with low details (if I am "wasting" time with playing computer games, than at least it should look good :-))

What do you guys think? thx for opinions

If you're  1050p im running a 760 and max everything inc. watch dogs but that gets a bit choppy at ultra with the mod to enable pretty things but turn it down to high it runs smoothly i think but when it comes to frame rates im good with 10 fps. :P

Steve

GTX 970. it uses a low amount of power, it's quite cheap and overclocks like a b**** to get higher performance like the 980.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

GTX 760 is not worth the money they are asking for it, r9 270x is faster and where I live cheaper. I really do like 970, but it just costs too much for my liking, I mean there are times when I play less than 10 hours a month, so in my mind such an "expensive" card is not particularly good investment.

In my country costs are like this: 750 ti starts at 3500,-, 760 at 6000,-, r9 270 at 4500,- r9 270x 5200,- and gtx 970 at 9000,- (czk)

EDIT: I may not have comunicated this through well, with 2nd and 3rd option I would buy both monitor and some more powerfull GPU.

GTX 760 is not worth the money they are asking for it, r9 270x is faster and where I live cheaper. I really do like 970, but it just costs too much for my liking, I mean there are times when I play less than 10 hours a month, so in my mind such an "expensive" card is not particularly good investment.

In my country costs are like this: 750 ti starts at 3500,-, 760 at 6000,-, r9 270 at 4500,- r9 270x 5200,- and gtx 970 at 9000,- (czk)

EDIT: I may not have comunicated this through well, with 2nd and 3rd option I would buy both monitor and some more powerfull GPU.

So what is your budget for the graphics card?

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

Well about 250$, for GPU upgrade now and next year only monitor. If I could get something around 150$ which would play games well on 1680x1050 (for about a year),  I should be able to sell it for at least 1/2 the price next year (still with a one year warranty) and get something new from AMD or NV and new monitor at the same time.

Something like that would be great, but ordering from abroad is not favourable thx to national bank intervention and various taxes on such things.

This is my favourite e-shop in my country www.alzashop.com (set shipping to some euro using country, for example germany). So my budged in euros is about 230 or 130 euros (incl. VAT)

Yes, that is a good deal. Go for it!