For what it is...?

vt3c

So, one of my buddies is using a craptop to play minecraft. E300 HP laptop, 4GB RAM. Ew. He says he loves PC gaming and unfortunately decided to be dumb and bought a PS3 and Xbox 360. He wants to go back to PC gaming but upon moving to this apartment his parents got his old desktop. I have some spare parts laying around, you think this'll make a minecraft worthy PC?

Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5ghz

Geforce 7950 GT

4GB (4x1GB) DDR2-800

2x500GB Drives in RAID

Win7 or Win8.1 his choice.

What do you think? Minecraft worthy?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Yea. It should. Minecraft is more CPU reliant. 
So the Core 2 Quad should do the trick.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

The ram would hit the game hard, in a bad way. The CPU is probably enough.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

Yea. It should. Minecraft is more CPU reliant. 

So the Core 2 Quad should do the trick.

He'd need a motherboard and case. Can you point me in the right direction? Budget for both should be ~$140

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

The ram would hit the game hard, in a bad way. The CPU is probably enough.

Best put win8.1 pro on there then. Less memory intensive than win7. 

Best put win8.1 pro on there then. Less memory intensive than win7. 

Or Linux...

Or Linux...

I could, but he wants windows. ^3^

I could, but he wants windows. ^3^

Did he actually say he doesn't want to use Linux?  People often forget about it as an option for slower computers  

Did he actually say he doesn't want to use Linux?  People often forget about it as an option for slower computers  

I asked him if he knew about ubuntu, and he literally said

"My college courses use a windows only thing so I gotta go with windows on this one."

If anyone can find an LGA 775 board that supports yorkdale and has 4 DDR2 ports that'd be hella sick.

Minecraft is a horrific game to base benchmarks on ect. It's written in Java and loves eating up CPU cycles and ram. My GPU hovering around 50%> utilization. 

Minecraft is a horrific game to base benchmarks on ect. It's written in Java and loves eating up CPU cycles and ram. My GPU hovering around 50%> utilization. 

But he's using it on an e300...

could surely use a better GPU and CPU