Work/gaming rig

belkun

Hello everyone! First time posting here, but a long time Linus fan. Lemme get straight to the point: I'm planning on building a new rig, focused on work (3D art/game development) and of course, gaming. I don't really want to spend it that much, but I think I may not have that much of a choice on that matter, and to worse things, I'm from a shitty country where everything is around 3 times of what you would find on the US.

Here's what I've sorta got together using LogicalIncrements as reference and a lot of research:

CPU: Intel i7-4790k
I'm not sure if an i5 is enough, HyperThreading would really help out with some of the software I use daily. Intel is a must, specially related to software compatibility
CPU cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212x
Not too exaggerated, mostly just to cool the CPU a bit more since I live on a tropical country. WC is a bit too expensive IMO and I'd rather not risk anything
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
After looking into loads of mobos, kinda settled on this one. Also thinking about Asus Z97-A, Asrock Z97 Extreme4 and Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H. I'll probably base it off the cheapest one I can get
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) 1600MHz
IMO a must have for the 64bit software I use. Maybe a bit too expensive.
SSD: Crucial MX100 240gb
From what I could find, one of the best PriceXPerformance SSDs, and seems to be quite reliable. Not sure if 120GB is enough for my softwares
HDD: WD Blue 1TB
Possibly expanding with more 1TB HDDs later on, but I think it should be enough for the time being
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 970
NVIDIA is a must for me for the same reasons as the CPU: software compatibility. Originally planned on getting the GTX 770 but the 970 came out. GTX 760 seems to be a bit too weak for my needs and the 780/980 a bit too expensive
Case: NZXT H440
Not much to say, just that I'm pretty much in love with this case. May be a bit hard to find it around here, so I'm considering Corsair's 500R too
Power Supply: Corsair RM650
I'm not that sure if 650w is enough. I'm probably going to have 4-6 USB peripherals connected, plus I think having the possibility of a future SLI would be nice. I'm also considering the CSM650, though I'm not really sure about the differences. If possible modular/semi-modular would be good

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013
Apparently has a perfect sensor and I quite like the price and look of it. Not sure how it'll feel with my fingertip grip
Keyboard: Corsair K70
First time getting a mechanical keyboard, probably going for red switches since it's the only thing I can find here
Mousepad: Steelseries QcK+
Never read anything bad about this one. The Goliathus is another option
Headset: HyperX Cloud
Not a big fan of the microphone but from what I've read the sound is really good. Also considering Corsair's 1500v2 and Logitech's G430. I really wanted a wireless one (Corsair 2100/Logitech G930), but the audio quality is probably pretty bad. I don't want a headphone + mic, too expensive around here and I don't want to be bothered with extra wires
Monitor: Dell U2414H
Possibly getting a couple of those. Haven't read much about it, but I trust Dell, and an IPS with accurate colors is a must have

I think i may be going a bit too overboard on some stuff, so I'd absolutely love some suggestions on everything. Is the CPU too much? What about the motherboard? Are the extra 8GB of ram going to help? Would a 120GB SSD be enough? Maybe alternate peripherals? Is the PSU too strong/weak?
Not sure if I feel that comfortable spending so much on a PC (as I said, everything is around 2-3x as expensive here), but I don't want to get a shitty one, but if possible I'd like to make it as cheap as possible.

Again, I'd really appreciate some thoughts on everything so far. Thanks for reading!

If the hyper threading will help, then use it!
Also, would you be so kind as to use the website pcpartpicker.com to build this? We can see prices and stuff. It also helps you too in the build. 

If the hyper threading will help, then use it!

Also, would you be so kind as to use the website pcpartpicker.com to build this? We can see prices and stuff. It also helps you too in the build. 

Whoops, forgot about that! I actually have it up on PCPartPicker, just forgot to put it here. The prices don't really matter that much to me because there is no support for my country, but still, it's always good to use them as a base.

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center) 
Monitor: Dell U2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor  ($259.00 @ Adorama) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2105.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 11:39 EDT-0400

Whoops, forgot about that! I actually have it up on PCPartPicker, just forgot to put it here. The prices don't really matter that much to me because there is no support for my country, but still, it's always good to use them as a base.

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Micro Center) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Micro Center) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($111.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($51.99 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2105.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-03 11:39 EDT-0400

That is a pretty good spec. I would look at getting a better psu though. Where are you buying from ? as not every Country has access to certain psu brands.

That is a pretty good spec. I would look at getting a better psu though. Where are you buying from ? as not every Country has access to certain psu brands.

I live in Brazil. I don't think PSUs are very hard to find here, I personally had to look into way too many, but the main brands here I believe are Corsair, CoolerMaster, EVGA, Seasonic and Thermaltake.

Quick edit: Would a 750w PSU suffice? Just found out that EVGA's Supernova NEX750B was released recently at the store I'm going to buy everything, and it has a pretty good price.

I live in Brazil. I don't think PSUs are very hard to find here, I personally had to look into way too many, but the main brands here I believe are Corsair, CoolerMaster, EVGA, Seasonic and Thermaltake.

If you only plan on running a single gpu then a 550W psu is enough. Go with a 750W if you plan on going SLI in the future.

Seasonic power supplies are very good. The Seasonic G 550W would be a good choice for a single graphics card if you can get one.

If you want a 750W for SLI then the EVGA Supernova G2 750W is very good.

If you only plan on running a single gpu then a 550W psu is enough. Go with a 750W if you plan on going SLI in the future.

Seasonic power supplies are very good. The Seasonic G 550W would be a good choice for a single graphics card if you can get one.

If you want a 750W for SLI then the EVGA Supernova G2 750W is very good.

Just read some not so good stuff about EVGA's PSU, specially this one, so I'd rather not risk it. I think I'll get a 550-600w Seasonic and then upgrade later on if I do end up doing SLI.

Just read some not so good stuff about EVGA's PSU, specially this one, so I'd rather not risk it. I think I'll get a 550-600w Seasonic and then upgrade later on if I do end up doing SLI.

Which EVGA ? The G2 is one of the best psu's around at the moment.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_750/

I looked into the NEX750B, doesn't seem to be that well reviewed. That one is a little bit too pricey IMO.

The NEX is a totally different platform to the G2. The NEX is made by FSP, and the G2 is made by Superflower.

Seasonics are good psu's though, so you won't go wrong with one of those.

The NEX is a totally different platform to the G2. The NEX is made by FSP, and the G2 is made by Superflower.

Seasonics are good psu's though, so you won't go wrong with one of those.

Yeah, I think I just found a really really good one, Seasonic G-Series 550W 80 Plus Gold SSR-550RM, with some really great review like this one from JonnyGuru. I'm only a bit concerned about it being 550W. Do you think it's enough for a GTX 970, Haswell CPU and up to 6 connected USB peripherals, such as mouse, keyboard, graphic tablet, controller, etc? From what I've read so far, everything from Seasonic seems to be really really well reviewed, but still, I'm a bit used going a bit 'overkill' on PSUs just in case haha

Yeah, I think I just found a really really good one, Seasonic G-Series 550W 80 Plus Gold SSR-550RM, with some really great review like this one from JonnyGuru. I'm only a bit concerned about it being 550W. Do you think it's enough for a GTX 970, Haswell CPU and up to 6 connected USB peripherals, such as mouse, keyboard, graphic tablet, controller, etc? From what I've read so far, everything from Seasonic seems to be really really well reviewed, but still, I'm a bit used going a bit 'overkill' on PSUs just in case haha

It will cope fine with a single GTX 970 and all your other items. It is a very good psu. Seasonic are one of the best in the business.

It will cope fine with a single GTX 970 and all your other items. It is a very good psu. Seasonic are one of the best in the business.

Yeah, that seems to be pretty much what everyone says about Seasonic. Thanks a lot for your help on this!

One thing I've been kinda debating on what to get is the mouse. Steelseries Rival seems to be a really good contender to the Deathadder, but it's a newer mouse so I can't find a lot of stuff about it. Does anyone have any info about how the two mouses compare?

A bit of an update on the build. Changed some minor stuff around:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.94 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($126.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($149.92 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($349.99 @ B&H) 

Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $1351.10

Instead of the 4790k I think I'll go with the 4790, since I don't have any plans to overclock this. The only thing I'm not sure is the motherboard. The three I currently have in mind are MSI Z97 Gaming 5, MSI Z97-G45 and MSI H97 Gaming 3. I thought about the build and figured I have no plans to overclock or run SLI on it, but I do need a bunch of USB ports (6 in the back and 2 on the front is a sweet spot). Should I go with the cheaper H97 since I don't plan on overclocking, maybe the G45 as a middle ground or the Gaming 5?

One last thing, I'm still not sure about the PSU. I do plan on possibly expanding the storage later, do you guys think 550W really can hold everything?