EK Water Cooling Build - Do I need an extra rad?

Hi all, 

I have a planned custom loop using the following spec and water cooling kit;

PC Spec (overclocking is planned)

• Asus X99-S Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E CPU
  • XFX P1-850B-BEFX Pro Black Edition 850W
  • G.Skill RipJaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000 3000MHz
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW (once it's released)
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB x2 (in Raid 0) 
  • Corsair 600T Case (already owned)

Water Cooling Spec

• EK-KIT X240 Water Cooling Kit
  • Mayhems Pastel Ice White Coolant 1 Litre x 2
  • Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan (x2 in push)
  • EK-FC 970 GTX (once it's released)

I want to have the CPU and GPU in the loop. I am currently waiting for EK to release their 970 FC water blocks. 

I was told the rule of thumb is usually to add a 120mm rad per component added to the loop, so can someone confirm/deny this is the case here? Do I need to add another rad to the loop?

I've already budgeted the following for my future planned SLi but wasn't going to add the rad until the second GPU was added. 

• Alphacool 35265 NexXxoS ST30 Radiator 240

Any pointers/advice is appreciated!

Cheers

Hi all, 

I have a planned custom loop using the following spec and water cooling kit;

PC Spec (overclocking is planned)

• Asus X99-S Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E CPU
  • XFX P1-850B-BEFX Pro Black Edition 850W
  • G.Skill RipJaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000 3000MHz
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW (once it's released)
  • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB x2 (in Raid 0) 

Water Cooling Spec

• EK-KIT X240 Water Cooling Kit
  • Mayhems Pastel Ice White Coolant 1 Litre x 2
  • EK-FC 970 GTX (once it's released)

I want to have the CPU and GPU in the loop. I am currently waiting for EK to release their 970 FC water blocks. 

I was told the rule of thumb is usually to add a 120mm rad per component added to the loop, so can someone confirm/deny this is the case here? Do I need to add another rad to the loop?

I've already budgeted the following for my future planned SLi but wasn't going to add the rad until the second GPU was added. 

• Alphacool 35265 NexXxoS ST30 Radiator 240

Cheers

i would say go a 360mm rad instead of the 240 for the 2 blocks as it will give you more headroom for overclocks or have lower RPM fans. 

it will help knowing which case you are using so we know what size rads we can suggest to you

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

i would say go a 360mm rad instead of the 240 for the 2 blocks as it will give you more headroom for overclocks or have lower RPM fans. 

it will help knowing which case you are using so we know what size rads we can suggest to you

Sorry I should have said, I had a Corsair 600T case, there's no space for a 360mm rad without cutting funky shapes in the case (which I'm not going to do I'm afraid ;)

Bummer but I like the case so have to work with what I have.  

Cheers

Few things to consider, the rad is a monster ! You will need to be very careful about choosing a case that can support it, as well as planning for any additions you would like to make in the future.

Here is a decent review of the EK system: http://www.overclockers.com/ekwb-ek-kit-x240-water-cooling-kit-review

The system appears to be well put together, my main worries would be that once you add an additional rad to the loop the "water pump: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition (incl. pump holders)" might have a bit of trouble keeping up, if it does you would likely need to swap pumps or convert the rads to push/pull depending on the flow rate. I couldn't hunt down a benchmark for the pump itself, just the review which indicates it works well in the system it comes with. The fans that come with it, "radiator fan: EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM (2pcs)" also seem somewhat dubious with a static P of only 1.7mm H2O. NF-F12's or Corsair's SP120's would be a better choice unless you plan on using low noise adapters or the quiet editions, then it's pretty much a wash either way.

If it was my system and I planned on adding an additional radiator to the loop anyways I would forgo the EK kit and buy the components separately, swapping the fans for NF-F12's/SP120's and the pump for a decent variable speed D5. As for needing the extra rad, unsure, I've got x2 240x45mm Alphacool's and it's more than sufficient to cool my 5960X @1.284v and x2 GTX 580's @ 1.075v, your mileage may vary depending on where you end up with the 5820k (also would have gone with the 5930k, but that's a different issue). The included 240x63mm is definitely more than sufficient for GPU+CPU as long as those fans work as advertised.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Sorry I should have said, I had a Corsair 600T case, there's no space for a 360mm rad without cutting funky shapes in the case (which I'm not going to do I'm afraid ;)

Bummer but I like the case so have to work with what I have.  

IDK how the hell you're going to fit the EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 240 (Double) unless you plan on removing the front drive bays and mounting it there, with the smaller ST30 mounted up top (eventually) that's the only way I can imagine this going as painless as possible. If you wanted the big boy up top you'll need low profile ram (or remove the heatsinks) and even then you're not going to be able to remove the RAM, CPU, CPU power, etc. w/out removing the rad :mellow:

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Few things to consider, the rad is a monster ! You will need to be very careful about choosing a case that can support it, as well as planning for any additions you would like to make in the future.

Here is a decent review of the EK system: http://www.overclockers.com/ekwb-ek-kit-x240-water-cooling-kit-review

The system appears to be well put together, my main worries would be that once you add an additional rad to the loop the "water pump: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition (incl. pump holders)" might have a bit of trouble keeping up, if it does you would likely need to swap pumps or convert the rads to push/pull depending on the flow rate. I couldn't hunt down a benchmark for the pump itself, just the review which indicates it works well in the system it comes with. The fans that come with it, "radiator fan: EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM (2pcs)" also seem somewhat dubious with a static P of only 1.7mm H2O. NF-F12's or Corsair's SP120's would be a better choice unless you plan on using low noise adapters or the quiet editions, then it's pretty much a wash either way.

If it was my system and I planned on adding an additional radiator to the loop anyways I would forgo the EK kit and buy the components separately, swapping the fans for NF-F12's/SP120's and the pump for a decent variable speed D5. As for needing the extra rad, unsure, I've got x2 240x45mm Alphacool's and it's more than sufficient to cool my 5960X @1.284v and x2 GTX 580's @ 1.075v, your mileage may vary depending on where you end up with the 5820k (also would have gone with the 5930k, but that's a different issue). The included 240x63mm is definitely more than sufficient for GPU+CPU as long as those fans work as advertised.

IDK how the hell you're going to fit the EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 240 (Double) unless you plan on removing the front drive bays and mounting it there, with the smaller ST30 mounted up top (eventually) that's the only way I can imagine this going as painless as possible. If you wanted the big boy up top you'll need low profile ram (or remove the heatsinks) and even then you're not going to be able to remove the RAM, CPU, CPU power, etc. w/out removing the rad :mellow:

Ok, I've taken what you've said under consideration and looked at making a custom loop up by using separate parts (I'm based in the UK so these are in £);

NEW EK-Supremacy EVO (Original CSQ) CPU Water Block
£49.99inc VAT

EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 including Water Cooling Pump
£99.77inc VAT

Phobya 62147 13/10mm (10x1,5mm) screw-on fitting outer thread 1/4 - black nickel plated
£18.91inc VAT

3.3m Masterkleer, 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD Hose, Clear, UV Blue, Boxed
£10.21inc VAT

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm x2
£70.32inc VAT

Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan (x4 in push)
£62.98

Total Cost £338.66

EK-KIT X240 Water Cooling Kit was £277

The height of the rad that comes with the EK kit is 60mm, while the Alphacool (not sure if its that good, but it has a couple of 5 star reviews on the site I found it on) is 30mm in height. 

Sound better?

I'll just go for my new "pick 'n mix" version then I reckon.

Cheers