Ultrawide and anime?

BasedKana

Hi everyone, been watching linus tech tips for a while, decided to join the forums so I could ask this question. I'm really interested in getting the lg uc97 linus reviewed recently, just wanted to know if anyone with a 21:9 monitor has tried watching anime on it before, does it not work well? I believe newer anime is 16:9 standard and older anime is 4:3, would my media player be able to play it in 21:9? 

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forum!

Its will play it buy there will be black bars on the side.

Or it will stretch the 16:9 image out to 21:9

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

it'd play in its correct ratio, it'll just have black bars on the sides.

16:9 on a 21:9 monitor would look like 4:3 looks like on a 16:9 panel

The media player I use is windows media player with shark007 codecs installed.

Also XBMC.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

It will play with black bars unless you set the video player to stretch the vid, which would look ridiculous.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It will play with black bars unless you set the video player to stretch the vid, which would look ridiculous.

Welcome to the forum!

Its will play it buy there will be black bars on the side.

Or it will stretch the 16:9 image out to 21:9

Or you can crop the video this will make the video play in 21:9 without black bars or stretching, it will also cut most of their head and abdomen but this is preferable if watching video with the sole purpose of staring at boobs.

the "plots" and "storylines" get stretched

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That is the very reason why i am not interested in 21:9 becasue the monster turns form 32 inch to a 20 inch when watching anime......

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

That is the very reason why i am not interested in 21:9 becasue the monster turns form 32 inch to a 20 inch when watching anime......

You have the same problem is reverse with a lot of movies on a 16:9 or 16:10 screen

You have the same problem is reverse with a lot of movies on a 16:9 or 16:10 screen

Yup.....

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Wow, helpful responses within minutes, you guys are awesome. Thanks again, i'll be taking all this into consideration before purchasing the monitor. 

Looking forward to being able to contribute in the future as well.