help! new computer, help

Hello everyone, I have upgraded and replaced parts in many computers, but this is the first time i built a computer from scratch! i build a computer in a Corsair 900d with a Rampage iv extreme black edition, i74930k, and 36 gigs of gskill ram (ddr3 2666) (4 dimms of 8gigs), i am liquid cooling the i7 with a Corsair h100i, i have a EVGA 1300w powersupply and a seagate 1tb sshhd hybrid drive and a asus rog matrix 7970 ghz platinum. I have windows 8 pro 64 bit installed and working.

now there are the problems: my ram is  currently running at a speed of ddr3 1333 not 2666 and when i try to change the speed in the bios to anything higher the computer wont turn on (the screen is blank) .. als omy cpu speed is changing everytime i restart the computer, it is either 1.3ghz or at 3.8ghz... this is bad, because when i tryed running Minecraft i would only get like 14 frames per sec.! Anybody know what i have to do to make my ram and compuer to run at good speeds? (i have litle  knowledge about how to operate the bios).. now some secondary questions: i tryed to install all new drivers, but how can i be sure that all my parts have the latest drivers?

UPDATE: now my processor is stable at 3.8ghz and ram is strable at 2400, but still when i tried to set ram at 2666 the computer screen wont start, till i put it in safe mode and retry to launch the computer another 15 times and change the settings back!!!! i really want to run my ram at 2666 because i could of saved $50 just by buying ddr3 2400 ram in the first place!!

do i have to overvolt my ram or something?

I think there's something wrong with your motherboard. If its messing up RAM and CPU speeds it must be the problem. 

You should try to return it

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

I hope you didn't buy all that so you could play minecraft. :)

i just used minecraft as a quick test to see if it works well but apparently it doesnt

I think there's something wrong with your motherboard. If its messing up RAM and CPU speeds it must be the problem. 

You should try to return it

i just tried it again, now my processor is stable at 3.8ghz and ram is strable at 2400, but still when i tried to set ram at 2666 the computer screen wont start, till i put it in safe mode and retry to launch the computer another 15 times and change the settings back!!!! i really want to run my ram at 2666 because i could of saved $50 just by buying ddr3 2400 ram in the first place!!

i just tried it again, now my processor is stable at 3.8ghz and ram is strable at 2400, but still when i tried to set ram at 2666 the computer screen wont start, till i put it in safe mode and retry to launch the computer another 15 times and change the settings back!!!! i really want to run my ram at 2666 because i could of saved $50 just by buying ddr3 2400 ram in the first place!!

is it in XMP mode?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

is it in XMP mode?

no, when i put it in xmp mode it says that the ram will run at 2666 but when i launch the computer the windows specs and cpuZ show a speed of 1333, so i put it at a manual speed 0f 2400 (since 2666 wont work)

no, when i put it in xmp mode it says that the ram will run at 2666 but when i launch the computer the windows specs and cpuZ show a speed of 1333, so i put it at a manual speed o0f 2400 (since 266 wont work)

yeah, i'd exchange that mobo anyways...

yeah, i'd exchange that mobo anyways...

i got the mobo and cpu together as a classfeild on linustechtips for a price of $700

i got the mobo and cpu together as a classfeild on linustechtips for a price of $700

uhh ohh....

it came with no warranty?!

:P

Your gonna have to stick to what you have, or you have defective ram

uhh ohh....

it came with no warranty?!

:P

is there a way i can check that my ram is defective or not?

YOU HAVE 1K POSTS AND YOU STILL DON'T KNOW! 

Just kidding. I found this out a while ago also. Just remember what DDR stands for, and be careful.

-snip-

DDR means "Double Data Rate". CPU-Z is supposed to show half of your RAM's clock speed.

I have 1600Mhz, and it shows up as 798. Your RAM isn't defective. This is completely normal.

You should still get your RAM's original performance.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

no, when i put it in xmp mode it says that the ram will run at 2666 but when i launch the computer the windows specs and cpuZ show a speed of 1333, so i put it at a manual speed 0f 2400 (since 2666 wont work)

Remember cpuZ report x2 is the actual frequency. So 1333MHz on cpuZ is 2666MHz  in real.

Remember cpuZ report x2 is the actual frequency. So 1333MHz on cpuZ is 2666MHz  in real.

YOU HAVE 1K POSTS AND YOU STILL DON'T KNOW! 

Just kidding. I found this out a while ago also. Just remember what DDR stands for, and be careful.

DDR means "Double Data Rate". CPU-Z is supposed to show half of your RAM's clock speed.

I have 1600Mhz, and it shows up as 798. Your RAM isn't defective. This is completely normal.

You should still get your RAM's original performance.

yes i know that, because on cpu z it shows a speed of 667.1mhz

yes i know that, because on cpu z it shows a speed of 667.1mhz

Open up task manager. What does it say on the memory?

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Open up task manager. What does it say on the memory?

maybe i set something up wrong in bois? any ideas on what to do

it says 1333

Are you sure you got 2666?

Pretty sure DDR3 is capped at 2500Mhz. 

Can you give me a link to the product at least?

Also, try getting rid of the dust and reseat your RAM. (PC must be off)

• For DDR3 RAM modules the official max frequency is 1600 Mhz (Jedec) but can reach to overwhelming 2500Mhz – that’s insanely insane …I mean thats the frequency at which CPU’s operate.

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Try running with just 1 stick of ram at a time and check the speeds separately, see if you have a bad mem stick.

XMP settings in bios should be just fine and running at the advertised speed

Spoiler

-snip-

Try what @Hendrics suggested. Judging from your specs, I see that everything should be compatible with the RAM speed. 

Either there is something wrong with the RAM or your BIOS settings. 

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Try running with just 1 stick of ram at a time and check the speeds separately, see if you have a bad mem stick.

Try what @Hendrics suggested. Judging from your specs, I see that everything should be compatible with the RAM speed. 

ok ill try that, but ill try that tommorow as i need to go to bed now, ill tell you what results i get tommorow, thanks for your help guys!

OK, thanks guys! That actually worked! I guquote name="OriginalPromise" post="3088107" timestamp="1412127675"]Try what @Hendrics suggested. Judging from your specs, I see that everything should be compatible with the RAM speed. 

OK, thanks guys! That actually worked! I guess some dust was in it or something, well thanks a lot because i was freaking out!

Now, do you think I can overclock the ram? I have ram cooling fans but they are currently not installed. And once again thank you