Moving BF4 to SSD

Chazhammer

So I decided to move BF4 from my 3TB HDD to my 128GB SSD that also contains my OS. I did it the easy and time consuming way by uninstalling and changing the install path then reinstalling because I don't care about waiting for it to download. Since I am an idiot, I didn't realize that I did not have enough space on my SSD for all of the MASSIVE DLC content as well.
I just want to know if I can install my game and a couple DLCs on my SSD, and install the remaining DLCs on a different hard drive. 
I know it's a stretch, but hey, what do I have to lose? I'd rather ask before I even attempt though, as I have two more DLCs to download along with the one that has about 6GB to go, while I only have 6.9GB free on my SSD.

And yes, I have deleted some stuff from the SSD to make room, but apparently not enough. 
If someone wants to buy me another SSD just for games, that's be great, but otherwise, don't tell me to buy another one, because I'm broke lol

Thanks, 
Chaz

@Chazhammer
Based on what I'm seeing BF4 is 45GB right now with the DLCs.
Try downloading this, it shows you whats taking up how much space in an intuitive GUI and see if you can delete anything else.

You can also try to delete the hibernation file as it can be ~10GB if you never use the hibernate feature by typing

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

into the command prompt.

You can also check to see if you have the system page file on your ssd, it can be ~8GB by default, and change it to be on your HDD instead.

And all those things together might allow you to have enough to install the few remaining DLC

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

@Chazhammer

Based on what I'm seeing BF4 is 45GB right now with the DLCs.

Try downloading this, it shows you whats taking up how much space in an intuitive GUI and see if you can delete anything else.

You can also try to delete the hibernation file as it can be ~10GB if you never use the hibernate feature by typing

into the command prompt.

You can also check to see if you have the system page file on your ssd, it can be ~8GB by default, and change it to be on your HDD instead.

And all those things together might allow you to have enough to install the few remaining DLC

So I tried both methods, and I managed to clear up a bit more space by using the program, but I'm not sure if the command prompt line did anything.

I had enough space to finish the game, Second Assault, and Dragon's Teeth, but I still have China Rising and Naval Strike to download, leaving me a total of about 9.5GB to go, with 6.72 free on my SSD. 

I'm sure I'll manage to find more things to delete in order to download the rest.

Thanks for the help.

So I tried both methods, and I managed to clear up a bit more space by using the program, but I'm not sure if the command prompt line did anything.

I had enough space to finish the game, Second Assault, and Dragon's Teeth, but I still have China Rising and Naval Strike to download, leaving me a total of about 9.5GB to go, with 6.72 free on my SSD. 

I'm sure I'll manage to find more things to delete in order to download the rest.

Thanks for the help.Z

I listed three things.

The command prompt to turn off hibernate and save space.

Going into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools. Then open Adjust Visual Effects. And go to the advanced tab. Then click on Change under Virtual Memory and click on the drive letter that represents your SSD and select the option No Paging File. Then click Set . After that click on a letter that represents your HDD and choose either custom size or system managed size and then click Set again. Then just press OK.

And the third was to look for other stuff to delete in that program.

Just want to make sure you tried everything.

Also for the Hibernate thing to work you may need to have administrative privileges.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I listed three things.

The command prompt to turn off hibernate and save space.

Going into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools. Then open Adjust Visual Effects. And go to the advanced tab. Then click on Change under Virtual Memory and click on the drive letter that represents your SSD and select the option No Paging File. Then click Set . After that click on a letter that represents your HDD and choose either custom size or system managed size and then click Set again. Then just press OK.

And the third was to look for other stuff to delete in that program.

Just want to make sure you tried everything.

Also for the Hibernate thing to work you may need to have administrative privileges.

My bad. I just tried to find the Performance Information and Tools in control panel, but I can't seem to find anything of the sort. Yes, I do have All Control Panel Items shown. I forgot to mention I have Windows 8.1, so that may make a difference, but I'm not sure.

As for the hibernate thing, I do have administrative privileges, but I'll attach a screenshot of what happens when I put it into command prompt. 157b07d69a.png

My bad. I just tried to find the Performance Information and Tools in control panel, but I can't seem to find anything of the sort. Yes, I do have All Control Panel Items shown. I forgot to mention I have Windows 8.1, so that may make a difference, but I'm not sure.

As for the hibernate thing, I do have administrative privileges, but I'll attach a screenshot of what happens when I put it into command prompt. 

Umm try opening any folder in Desktop UI then go to the space at the left and

(right click) Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> (performance section) Settings -> Advanced

Linus Sebastian said:

Umm try opening any folder in Desktop UI then go to the space at the left and

(right click) Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> (performance section) Settings -> Advanced

Sorry for the delay in my response. 

I followed the steps through the control panel, and after I restarted my computer, I went from 3.04GB free on my SSD to 9.46GB free. 

Thank you for the help, mvitkun  :)

With the new BF4 patch releaced yesterday, they made it usless to have an ssd. I normally load into BF4 in about 10 seconds on my 120GB ssd, as that is still true! The game can only start once 8 people on both teams are "ready", or have loaded in, AND THEN you have another 5 second wait so you can choose where you want to spawn... I moved BF4 back to my hdd and you should too. *unless you like to load into the middle of a game in 10 seconds*

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Sorry for the delay in my response. 

I followed the steps through the control panel, and after I restarted my computer, I went from 3.04GB free on my SSD to 9.46GB free. 

Thank you for the help, mvitkun  :)

Glad I could help, and if you agree with boboman342 and think it's useless now too then at least you have some 20GB more space.

Linus Sebastian said: