780ti or 970? Power, performance and all things considered

s4spencer

I hope to soon be running a rig with an i7-4790k and a 780 ti.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-88-93732-1243.htm

specific 780 in question is a factory OC'd version from gigabyte

However, while waiting for shadow of mordor and its 6gig ultra textures I've began questioning if this really is the best choice.

From what I've read stock 780ti's vs 970's are pretty much neck and neck. I'm assuming an OC'd 970 vs an OC'd 780ti is going to stay pretty close as well?

4gigs > 3gigs

future SLI support

lower TDP

about the same performance as 780ti

Am I pretty much correct in my assumptions? 

780Ti is similar to the 980, while the 780 is still faster than a 970. 

Performance wise: 

980 = 780Ti > 780 = beast overclock on 970 > 970 

With that said, 900 series cards will still be easier to SLI since the 700 series has been discontinued, and they also are more efficient as well as support DX12 and MFAA (and have 4gb of VRAM)...so theres that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah, the 780ti will well outperform a 970. If you're looking at spending the money on a 780ti, then you should just get a 980. It's newer tech for around the same price--or less. 

If those are the only options I would go 980 because it probably has more overclocking headroom. And 4GBs of VRAM

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Thanks for the replies. I've been mainly going off this comparison for my "relatively same performance" thing

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

I was starting to think the extra VRAM, SLI ability, and the chance that I might be able to keep my PSU for a couple extra years might make the slight performance drop worth it.

I'm getting my current 780ti factory OC'd for $370 off on NCIX ($420 end price), so unfortunately that means the 980 is quite a bit out of my price range

i did not realy seen a GTX780Ti out performing a GTX970 by much to be honnest.

GTX970 is comming realy close to a 780Ti, and it beats a GTX780.

Unless all the reviewers spread wrong information?

in other words: if you OC it, it will perform as the +£100 more 980, and if you do not mind the lack of MFAA and VR support then go for it, as it is still a beast of a card at incredible price :D

Didn't notice this before, but it appears gpuboss is comparing an OC'd 970 to a reference 780 ti if that (which I assume it does) makes a difference

I owned a 780 (ACX Superclocked), the 970 (g1) is faster. I also owned 780's in SLI, the 970's in SLI are faster. I also owned a 290x (DCUII) and the 970 is faster. I also owned 290x crossfire (DCUII and a Lightning) and the 970s are faster. My 970s in SLI also beat the titans I had in sli in 3dmark/3dmark11/vantage but lost in Unigine benchmarks. The 970 is a monster and the 970 in SLI is stupid fast. When overclocked its even more ridiculous. I would buy what you really want, the 780ti is a sweet ass card but the 970 is 100 to 200+ less depending on the model you get. If you want to SLI 780 ti later (within a year or so) you won't be able to unless you buy a used card. So all things considered I would go 970 or even a 980 if you want to spend equal to a 780 ti right now and buy another later.

Thanks for the input everyone. Unless someone can bring up a point in favour of the 780ti I'm going to switch out for the 970 (if it's still possible, see if customer support can do anything about my order adjustment).

SLI 780's are out of the question, I never plan on getting a case that would be capable of venting that sort of wattage and heat. 970s supporting newer technology, as well as its significantly lower TDP should hopefully let me go all in on some fancy fan controller, and an SLI down the road

just seems kinda sad that such a high end card, even with $370 price drop is unable to dominate a mid-level GPU, even if it is a new release

The 780ti fully outperforms the 970 in every possible way (aside from the obvious power vs performance). Hell, it even matches or just barely falls short of the 980 in many benchmarks. I feel you're looking at this slightly wrong lol.