Help making my game

Polarwindz

Hello, i have started making a game called Undead Forest, it will be free to play single player game.

I need ideas of what to put in it like, should i make it post apocalyptic or the modern world?

and i might need help with the more advanced gui options.

It is going to be used in a web player, on a website I made. The website is 
http://undeadforest.elementfx.com/

Leave your comments of what you think of the game .

I mostly know how to put down prefabs and stuff, i don't have coding experience so.

I would like if you guys can either help me with new ideas of the game or someone could help co create the game

I have based the level biome on Ultimate Fps Clean Scene.

I have the character controller and weapons based on FPS Kit - Version 2.0

A legend says that one can find all the answers to his questions in the description. Who knows, perhaps even the purpose of our existence.

What's the game idea? You know, the catch, the thing that makes people want to play the game and enjoy it while doing so.

It's easier for you and the rest of the developers if you first present the Game Design Document, which is the living design, but for a game. That's where you start.

What's the game idea? You know, the catch, the thing that makes people want to play the game and enjoy it while doing so.

It's easier for you and the rest of the developers if you first present the Game Design Document, which is the living design, but for a game. That's where you start.

I want to make the game about a guy in a zombie filled forest who has to survive.

I am not really that good at story line making, but i am good at laying down the enviroment and things,

I am the only one working on the game sadly..

A legend says that one can find all the answers to his questions in the description. Who knows, perhaps even the purpose of our existence.

I want to make the game about a guy in a zombie filled forest who has to survive.

I am not really that good at story line making, but i am good at laying down the enviroment and things,

Since you are trying to survive in the forest from zombies I'd suggest that there be some kind of back story first. I know the game The Forest is a plane crashing on some island inhabited by tribal people.

Try to make something creative.

Since you are trying to survive in the forest from zombies I'd suggest that there be some kind of back story first. I know the game The Forest is a plane crashing on some island inhabited by tribal people.

Try to make something creative.

Oh man this is going to be hard D:

This is going to take a long time :/

I wish i had some one helping, but none of the people i know , know  how to use game development software D:

Well, you did see the game so far?

i would like insight please

I wish i had some one helping, but none of the people i know , know  how to use game development software D:

Ok, the game in it's current state I don't have much to comment on since it's just the ability to move around on a plain and eventually fall off.

You need to add the forest and the zombies part to the game, some meat and potatoes, then work on adding garnish to make it special.

Ok, the game in it's current state I don't have much to comment on since it's just the ability to move around on a plain and eventually fall off.

You need to add the forest and the zombies part to the game, some meat and potatoes, then work on adding garnish to make it special

i will have to fix that , i am adding in trees and rocks and water.

for the zombies, do you know anyone who can help program and animate them?

Even for common genres like zombie survival on the woods, there is a lot of innovation to be done; good story, cool gameplay development, or even the tools and controls given to the user can make a big difference. Even silly changes can make this a different game.

Try giving the game a focus, something that makes it different from what's out there, and might encourage people to try it.

Follow my suggestion, do a proper Game Design Document, it's going to set the ground for the rest of the development, and if you wish to make changes along the way you can.

Honestly that's about it, don't jump straight to creating the world, do a little bit of product design first.

I tried the web version of the game, you got the movement right and have a pretty spacious place to start working with. I've seen you added a couple of trees, shadows look a bit off and some trees are floating around, try turning them down :)

Even for common genres like zombie survival on the woods, there is a lot of innovation to be done; good story, cool gameplay development, or even the tools and controls given to the user can make a big difference. Even silly changes can make this a different game.

Try giving the game a focus, something that makes it different from what's out there, and might encourage people to try it.

Follow my suggestion, do a proper Game Design Document, it's going to set the ground for the rest of the development, and if you wish to make changes along the way you can.

Honestly that's about it, don't jump straight to creating the world, do a little bit of product design first.

I tried the web version of the game, you got the movement right and have a pretty spacious place to start working with. I've seen you added a couple of trees, shadows look a bit off and some trees are floating around, try turning them down :)

I could need some guidance with the gdd.

I am not planning on making any money with this game, so .

I am going to put in a test character with a gun and a knife to test the gameplay.

So, i should start out with making a gdd, and getting all my ideas down?

Hmm.for the shadows, should i lower the resolution on them?

Also for the forest, should i group a bunch of tree's together or have a variety of trees placed around?

And, i could use some help with making the ground textures a better resolution, and making bump maps

I could need some guidance with the gdd.

I am not planning on making any money with this game, so .

I am going to put in a test character with a gun and a knife to test the gameplay.

So, i should start out with making a gdd, and getting all my ideas down?

Hmm.for the shadows, should i lower the resolution on them?

The game design document is a basic part of game developing, there are a couple of guides out there, even on Wikipedia; the best ones are in game dev books. It's basically a sort of formal paper where you structure the game, everything gets included, characters, story, environment, GUI design, even details aimed to other devs to get it right. It doesn't have to be complex, specially if you are the only one doing this, use it to set your idea and brainstorm a little.

It doesn't money if it's to learn, make money, or whatever, it's a product you are getting developed and built; the first step is taking this seriously and having a critical and professional point of view.

You set shadows as hard shadows, right? The resolution usually looks pretty good on high, maybe lower the strength a little bit, it looks like it's the middle of the day and the shadows are deep black, which looks off IMO.

The game design document is a basic part of game developing, there are a couple of guides out there, even on Wikipedia; the best ones are in game dev books. It's basically a sort of formal paper where you structure the game, everything gets included, characters, story, environment, GUI design, even details aimed to other devs to get it right. It doesn't have to be complex, specially if you are the only one doing this, use it to set your idea and brainstorm a little.

It doesn't money if it's to learn, make money, or whatever, it's a product you are getting developed and built; the first step is taking this seriously and having a critical and professional point of view.

You set shadows as hard shadows, right? The resolution usually looks pretty good on high, maybe lower the strength a little bit, it looks like it's the middle of the day and the shadows are deep black, which looks off IMO.

thanks man :D

I updated the tree's and shadows, i added some rocks, is that better? grouping wise?

I am working on the gdd

my utlimate goal is to make a game that is fun and challenging, but it isn't going to look good over night that's for sure

thanks man :D

I updated the tree's and shadows, i added some rocks, is that better? grouping wise?

I am working on the gdd

my utlimate goal is to make a game that is fun and challenging, but it isn't going to look good over night that's for sure

Oh yeah, digging those rocks; like the little plants as well. You still need to enable collision on the rocks, but it's taking shape :)

Oh yeah, digging those rocks; like the little plants as well. You still need to enable collision on the rocks, but it's taking shape :)

Thanks man :D

I have alot of work to do...

So, for the rocks, which is the best collider to use?

Thanks man :D

I have alot of work to do...

So, for the rocks, which is the best collider to use?

I usually try avoiding mesh colliders and just sticking to the basic ones (square, sphere, etc), and then combining them to the shape of the object. It's not the most realistic way to do it, and there are better; but they are fairly easy to set up and work just fine on simple objects.

I usually try avoiding mesh colliders and just sticking to the basic ones (square, sphere, etc), and then combining them to the shape of the object. It's not the most realistic way to do it, and there are better; but they are fairly easy to set up and work just fine on simple objects.

I hope i am not annoying you with these many questions :/

I added in a better player and a simple hud

How do i add billboards as grass? and how do i animate the grass?

I would be glad to help out a bit, not that I'd be that useful. I'm trying to make a game myself in unity. I would suggest looking into displacement maps (no idea how to do it really) for the terrain. In addition, I think like a splintered plank behind the health thing, and a different font would help a lot of general polish. Forgot to mention, I know a teeny bit of python. Also walk speed is a bit slow in my opinion.

I would be glad to help out a bit, not that I'd be that useful. I'm trying to make a game myself in unity. I would suggest looking into displacement maps (no idea how to do it really) for the terrain. In addition, I think like a splintered plank behind the health thing, and a different font would help a lot of general polish. Forgot to mention, I know a teeny bit of python. Also walk speed is a bit slow in my opinion.

No No , any help is helpful my friend :)

What kind of game are you making?

Can you do that splintered plank and different font for me? 

I'll change the walk speed, oh I added weapons by the way to just test it.

No No , any help is helpful my friend :)

What kind of game are you making?

Can you do that splintered plank and different font for me? 

I'll change the walk speed, oh I added weapons by the way to just test it.

Yeah, I'll try to make some splintered plank thing. The font I can't change without having the unity game asset for health. I'm just trying to put my blender creations in a world to explore and goof off in. (hopefully with friends)

Yeah, I'll try to make some splintered plank thing. The font I can't change without having the unity game asset for health. I'm just trying to put my blender creations in a world to explore and goof off in. (hopefully with friends)

:) Message me so it'll be easier..

I am adding grass to the game ._. it's that crapy yellow stuff , but it is 3d

here is the file for the text http://pastebin.com/z6s6gp1h

I've got to say that I'm liking the way your game has turned out so far, much better than what I've done so far. Although, I don't know how much of your stuff is pre-packaged prefabs. I'm trying to make a Unity game from scratch, using as little pre-packaged stuff as possible, and it's progressing rather slowly. I would be happy to help with a thing or two for you if I knew more, and if I weren't so busy with a software dev class. I wish you all the best with this :D

I've got to say that I'm liking the way your game has turned out so far, much better than what I've done so far. Although, I don't know how much of your stuff is pre-packaged prefabs. I'm trying to make a Unity game from scratch, using as little pre-packaged stuff as possible, and it's progressing rather slowly. I would be happy to help with a thing or two for you if I knew more, and if I weren't so busy with a software dev class. I wish you all the best with this :D

I am using a pre made blank terrain world , but the prefabs were the ones i bought ^.^

I bought like 75$ worth from the asset store.

I put in a time of day skybox and it looks great!

I could use help animating the trees and the grass, if you could help or give me tips

I am using a pre made blank terrain world , but the prefabs were the ones i bought ^.^

I bought like 75$ worth from the asset store.

I put in a time of day skybox and it looks great!

I could use help animating the trees and the grass, if you could help or give me tips

Oh right, I forgot you could buy prefabs xD I have no money to buy prefabs sadly. Might look into it at some point. Sadly, I don't know how to animate things at this point, but as I'm working through some things, I may pick up how to do animations

I updated my game, it now has a day/night cycle, it has a slider but i was wondering how i could make that slider turn into like a clock down below near the health bar, ? and if it would be possible to sync with the real time would be awesome

would you know how to do that?

and my game looks good so far?

The year is 2044 and a meteorite crashes into Hawaii causing a volcanic activity that lasts a decade creating a radioactive island forcing the humans to avoid it at all costs.

Over time the radiation fast tracks earth's life evolution and a team is sent into investigate....

Somethings like that?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

That sounds great !!

I would need someone help if i were to  make a volcano, i am not good at terrain editng, like adding or subtracting layers

I removed some tree's it cause lag with the time of day prefab.

Is it possible to have the time of day be synced with a hud clock ?

Like a real clock and time of day?