New PC 2K Gaming Rig

Hey Guys, 

I'm new here on the forum of LinusTechTips. I would like to build a new computer probably at the end of this year or the beginning of the new one. I'm from germany, so I don't know if you can help me since prices are much higher here then in the US or Canada. 

My aim is to build a gaming rig, that is capable of running new games in 2k. The components should be chosen to also work quietly. I would also pay some extra money for quiet operation e.g. for Noctua fans etc. My budget is 1500-1700€ (2000- 2200US$) this should be  depending on performance that I could get for the extra money, or other accesories. I would need to buy an monitor as well as case, PSU, fans and anything but a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB). Accesories like keyboard, mouse, headset, etc. don't need to be considered. 

Since multicore performance in games increased over the past few years I think about getting an Core i7? I will also do some work in CAD- programs for university. 

I've already built a PC myself, for a friend of mine, so don't worry about things being to difficult to built in etc. 

Hope you can help me guys and I also hope my english isn't that bad. ;)

Any monitors you've had in mind? And do you mean 2.5K gaming, like 1440P?

okay sorry, I meant 2.5k gaming. I've heard good things about the asus rog swift pq 27inch monitor, but it's to expensive (800€) 1000$

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (€123.90 @ Caseking) 

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€143.98 @ Hardwareversand) 

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (€134.75 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€72.51 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card  (€394.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€109.90 @ Caseking) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€100.43 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (€69.90 @ Home of Hardware DE) 

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  (€484.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Total: €1634.26

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 16:50 CEST+0200

okay sorry, I meant 2.5k gaming. I've heard good things about the asus rog swift pq 27inch monitor, but it's to expensive (800€) 1000$

I couldn't find it on PCPartPicker for Germany, same with the 900 series GPU's. 

Okay, and if I would add another 500bugs, so the budget would be 1500-1700 only for the rig without the monitor? 

Okay, and if I would add another 500bugs, so the budget would be 1500-1700 only for the rig without the monitor? 

Well the monitor is almost €500 so just take that off and it would be around €1100, this leaves room for a second video card, a SSD or two, or some HDD.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€195.81 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€128.89 @ Home of Hardware DE) 

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  (€70.39 @ Hardwareversand) 

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€58.48 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€53.87 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (€356.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  (€356.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Case: Corsair Air 540 Silver ATX Mid Tower Case  (€119.90 @ Caseking) 

Total: €1431.22

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 17:23 CEST+0200

I assume you already have an SSD? If so then you'd have a storage drive as well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.73 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $843.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 13:10 EDT-0400

Don't expect to run all of your games at 120 fps at ultra settings but is easily manageable with lower settings, even with 2 cards its hard to manage it. If you plan to get two cards just tell me I'll swap the board out for one that supports SLI, 550W is plenty for two gtx 970's. Don't get a i7 or some ridiculous overpriced motherboards etc.. For case fans I'd recommend Be quiet ones.

I assume you already have an SSD? If so then you'd have a storage drive as well?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.73 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Micro Center) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $843.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 13:10 EDT-0400

Don't expect to run all of your games at 120 fps at ultra settings but is easily manageable with lower settings, even with 2 cards its hard to manage it. If you plan to get two cards just tell me I'll swap the board out for one that supports SLI, 550W is plenty for two gtx 970's. Don't get a i7 or some ridiculous overpriced motherboards etc.. For case fans I'd recommend Be quiet ones.

whole point of a 1440p rig is to be bad ass lol Any way I'd ditch the gtx 970 and go amd get the r9 290 and id say either go core i7 or 8350 newer games will leverage your extra cores

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

whole point of a 1440p rig is to be bad ass lol Any way I'd ditch the gtx 970 and go amd get the r9 290 and id say either go core i7 or 8350 newer games will leverage your extra cores

Only 2 atm benefit of 8 cores, 4-6 are taking advantage of 6 threads so it's pretty much a waste of money going with the 8350 or i7. All you need is a 4670K which is atm the best price/gaming performance CPU. Why should he get two 290's when it will cost him more on the PSU, run much louder and consume tons of more power while not even performing better?

Only 2 atm benefit of 8 cores, 4-6 are taking advantage of 6 threads so it's pretty much a waste of money going with the 8350 or i7. All you need is a 4670K which is atm the best price/gaming performance CPU. Why should he get two 290's when it will cost him more on the PSU, run much louder and consume tons of more power while not even performing better?

were im located the 290 is cheap enough to make up for the 10% performance i can get 290s for 299.99 usd

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

were im located the 290 is cheap enough to make up for the 10% performance i can get 290s for 299.99 usd

and the gtx 90 is around 400$ hear so yea better off for me any way

and the gtx 90 is around 400$ hear so yea better off for me any way

The evga970 acx is 330$, strix costs 20$ more. Cheapest 290 is that powercolor thing for 340$ though. Not that I'm really interested in the performance difference between the two but I'll take anytime a card that consumes less power (therefore quieter) whenever they cost the same.

Nobody else bothered to mention the Xeon? My god I have to do everything around here! :P Anyways, this will be quiet, powerful, and reliable for a good budget. If you care about looks go ahead and tell me but I didn't factor this into account for this build. It is windowless and will be quiet. The GTX 970 is not out in Germany as far as I can tell but I would consider waiting for it if I were you. Anyways here you go. http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/LkcKnQ  

Edit: Almost forgot the monitor lol This one is somewhat new with almost no reviews. BenQ GW2765HT This one is more expensive by about $100 but has many reviews.  Asus PB278Q

Hey Guys, 

I'm new here on the forum of LinusTechTips. I would like to build a new computer probably at the end of this year or the beginning of the new one. I'm from germany, so I don't know if you can help me since prices are much higher here then in the US or Canada. 

My aim is to build a gaming rig, that is capable of running new games in 2k. The components should be chosen to also work quietly. I would also pay some extra money for quiet operation e.g. for Noctua fans etc. My budget is 1500-1700€ (2000- 2200US$) this should be  depending on performance that I could get for the extra money, or other accesories. I would need to buy an monitor as well as case, PSU, fans and anything but a SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB). Accesories like keyboard, mouse, headset, etc. don't need to be considered. 

Since multicore performance in games increased over the past few years I think about getting an Core i7? I will also do some work in CAD- programs for university. 

I've already built a PC myself, for a friend of mine, so don't worry about things being to difficult to built in etc. 

Hope you can help me guys and I also hope my english isn't that bad. ;)

The evga970 acx is 330$, strix costs 20$ more. Cheapest 290 is that powercolor thing for 340$ though. Not that I'm really interested in the performance difference between the two but I'll take anytime a card that consumes less power (therefore quieter) whenever they cost the same.

"Quieter" isn't really fair to say, most people aren't going for a reference 290 unless they're watercooling, I have yet to hear a 290 sound loud under full load on any after warket cooler, be it twin frozer, DCUII, or windforce, you won't really hear the card inside a case with an after market cooler so it doesn't matter. Also I don't think we have 1440P benchmarks for the 970 yet so we don't know how it will stack against the 290, we all know the 290 doesn't do 1080P good but 1440P it does really well.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (€123.90 @ Caseking) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige 60.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€143.98 @ Hardwareversand) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (€134.75 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Kingston Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€72.51 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card  (€394.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€109.90 @ Caseking) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€100.43 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (€69.90 @ Home of Hardware DE) 
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  (€484.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1634.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 16:50 CEST+0200

lol build      cpu cooler more expensive than cpu?

Look doesn't count at all to me, so the case doesn't to have any specials like windowed sidepanel or any flashlights and stuff like that. All of you recommended 8GBs of RAM, is this enough for future? Is it better to have an overclockable 4 core processor like an i5 than to have an core i7? I've got an SSD in my Laptop but I have no harddrive (only 540GB one which is old and sounds like a helicopter when under load... :D
Shall I edit the post to add that I might spend 1500-1700€ only for the rig? so in total it could cost about 2000€ with 500€ for the Monitor ('cause I don't think there are any 2.5k monitors around for less than 500 bugs?) 

And is it worth buying a aio liquid cooler for the lower temperatures? I heard, some of the aio liquid coolers pumps would make strange noises? 

And I think I can take my "old" Win 8 version for the new PC? I bought it extra so it key should be "attached" to my system like "brand" systems from DELL or so do with Win 8 already installed.

and concerning the GTX 970 or 900 series in general, since I will probably wait till christmas or newyear, they should be available at that time. 

"Quieter" isn't really fair to say, most people aren't going for a reference 290 unless they're watercooling, I have yet to hear a 290 sound loud under full load on any after warket cooler, be it twin frozer, DCUII, or windforce, you won't really hear the card inside a case with an after market cooler so it doesn't matter. Also I don't think we have 1440P benchmarks for the 970 yet so we don't know how it will stack against the 290, we all know the 290 doesn't do 1080P good but 1440P it does really well.

Then you have bad hearings. No 290 under air will be quiet. Find me one on uk.hardware.info (who measures from 4" away with a 6K meter in a closed box) that sits below 40dBa then let's talk.

lol build      cpu cooler more expensive than cpu?

I tried to find the H220X but they don't have it in Germany! :D

Then you have bad hearings. No 290 under air will be quiet. Find me one on uk.hardware.info (who measures from 4" away with a 6K meter in a closed box) that sits below 40dBa then let's talk.

Well, I have two friends with 290's, an ASUS DCUII and a windforce, used both of them, put them under a synthetic load and inside a closed case (540 air and H440) neither one could really be heard. The whole room wasn't loud really, 1 PC going and that's really it, no fans in the room going, AC was on but that didn't change to much. So yeah. These are my experiences, I'm basing this off of what I've seen and heard myself. 

Go look at the R9 290 Sapphire Vapor-X review by Tek Syndicate.