best processor for gaming?

vuther

Well, most modern CPUs would handle SLI just fine, there are some people on the 3XXX CPUs with 3-4 ways SLI, after all.

Reasons to consider an i5: Normal usage and gaming.

Reasons to consider an i7: Productivity works, for example, 3D Modeling/Rendering, Photo/Video Editing. If you'd want to make a good reason out of it, this either has to be your job or you're doing it as a frequent hobby (As in more than once a week). Because in gaming, there is not much not

Here's a benchmark http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1317?vs=1261

Comparison on a 4960k vs i7 5960X, as you can see, no performance difference in games that can justify the price differences.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1199?vs=1261

And this is the 4960k vs 4970 (notes that these are non-overclocked, as only the 4960K was available for benchmarks)

It is purely a waste of money on an i7 if you don't have much focus on productivity works, in my opinion.  If you really want an i7 but you're content with not overclocking, you can even get a Xeon E3 with equivalent clock-speed (but check compatibility with motherboard)

ok so iv'e done some research on my own and i found this video by nicholasx12tech 

in this video the i7-4790k performs better at gaming than the i5-4690k. however i watched another video 
where he said basically that the afore mentioned i7 and i5 are almost the same  as far as gaming. but he also mentioned that the i7 is better for editing and twitch streaming both of which i plan to do when i get this pc. finaly i would "only" save 100 dollars if i got the i5. and considering i already saved like 700 by changing my motherboard and processor from x99 with 5960 to z97 with a 4790k that really doesn't seem like it is worth is to me i think id rather have the increased editing/live streaming capability for the 100 bucks.

bright move that way you need a new motherboard and CPU and maybe even RAM next time you want a GPU upgrade for it to be worth it...makes sence.

But with mantle and DirectX 12 aren't they significantly reducing CPU usage anyway?

Part of the Q6600 club

But with mantle and DirectX 12 aren't they significantly reducing CPU usage anyway?

it should...it might...it's supposed to...it's up in the air...let's hope so.. :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i think id rather have the increased editing/live streaming capability for the 100 bucks.

Livestream is not an concern when Raptr & Nvidia shadow play allow you to stream using the GPU not stressing the CPU so the I5 is a better choice games don't take advantage of TH that much 

ok so iv'e done some research on my own and i found this video by nicholasx12tech <video link> in this video the i7-4790k performs better at gaming than the i5-4690k. however i watched another video h<video link> where he said basically that the afore mentioned i7 and i5 are almost the same  as far as gaming. but he also mentioned that the i7 is better for editing and twitch streaming both of which i plan to do when i get this pc. finaly i would "only" save 100 dollars if i got the i5. and considering i already saved like 700 by changing my motherboard and processor from x99 with 5960 to z97 with a 4790k that really doesn't seem like it is worth is to me i think id rather have the increased editing/live streaming capability for the 100 bucks.

Well, yes, indeed, it performs better, but not worth the cost, in my opinion, as you don't gain much performance (in gaming) you can just overclock it for more if you want to.

Yes, i7 is indeed better at editing, streaming, due to Hyper Threading, the benchmarks I gave also support this statement.

However, it all depends on the frequency of what you're doing, if it's just sometimes or once in a while, I suggest not. But of course if you really like doing them, then you're fine and good to go. And if you really have money to spend, no one's stopping you.

But of course, i7 is always only a little better than an i5 at gaming and you can always overclock it.

But at productivity tasks (editing and streaming), it does do a much better job. (Demonking above also stated that each GPU's specialized software can help with the streaming instead of relying purely on CPU)

It's a bit of a trade-off, some performance in game and faster editing, or much cheaper and perform similarly in games but slower in editing.