Asus Xonar Phoebus Audio Problems

Suzoko

Hi, I recently purchased a Xonar Phoebus as a replacement for my onboard audio. However, I've been having severe audio problems. The sound card seems to be playing in monaural, E.G. if I test my headphones through the Windows 7 audio control panel, "left channel" and "right channel" are played through both the left and right drivers simultaneously. In addition, it seems like any sounds below a certain frequency aren't played at all; music has no bass whatsoever, some voices are completely cut off, and audio in general sounds distorted.

I've tried using different PCIe slots, disabling onboard audio, different PCIe power connectors, both the latest stable and beta drivers, 2 different pairs of headphones, and with and without the Asus RoG external headphone+microphone box. Nothing I can think of seems to fix the audio problems. Is there something I'm missing, or is it just a defective card? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm running Windows 7 professional 64-bit, and my motherboard is the Asus Z77 Maximus V Formula. Hopefully that's all the relevant information.

By the way, this is my first post on any forum, so sorry if I've unknowingly broken any rules :P

I was having some weird issues with the software when I first started using my soundcard, they were related to settings from the xonar phoebus control panel suddenly being switched on (like "true surround" or some nonsense) and the dolby home theater equalizer settings. Have you played around with the output values like sample rate? Have you confirmed the soundcard working on another output source like the speaker outputs?

+1 for playing with it especially the amount of audio channels. just set it to 2 channels as a default to test it out.

I tried changing sample rate, using different equalizers and generally messing with the headphone settings, but the problem persisted. However, using the front speaker out does solve the problem, albeit prevents me from being able to use the breakout box. Thanks!

...I suppose I should've tried that first :|

Yeah, I used the headphone slot. I can still use the microphone in the breakout box, or use another microphone through it, so the only thing I'm missing is the volume control, which is no big deal :D

We have hte same sound card and the same problem and same solution, I have 3 pairs of speakers plugged in and it does work very nicely for games while for music I have to set it to stereo and just use the pair of speakers plugged into the front speaker out, I just hope there is a way to use all 6 speakers for music and not make it sound that bad,well, music is probably different than how movies/game sounds are which I think is designed to play different sounds on each of the 6 speakers when the system is set to 7.1.

Does anyone know how I can play stereo in all 6 speakers? I mean for all of them to simply just work as RIGHT and LEFT for Music?