Wireless Headsets

Jodomcfrodo
Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,

My Maxmimus hero could power everything up to 60 ohms I think. Would either of these be worth it from ATH m50's?

Both of them are better, haha.

Realized that's not what you asked.

The 700x's would definately, but the Custom One Pro's, it depends. I haven't personally tried them, but MKBHD reviewed them and said he liked them more than the M50's.

Hey LTT,

I'm looking at new headphones for my PC and have decided to go wireless. I've looked at Linus' reviews on wireless headsets but I'm also wondering what your opinions on wireless headphones and which would be best. Anyone own a pair right now or have any idea which would be best? I was looking at the steel series wireless H.

Thanks!

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

If you're wanting one for gaming (built-in microphone rather than adding a modmic, which will add a cable..defeating the purpose of a wireless headset) then I think the Wireless H is your best bet.

If you're wanting one for gaming (built-in microphone rather than adding a modmic, which will add a cable..defeating the purpose of a wireless headset) then I think the Wireless H is your best bet.

You don't need the cable for the mic on the wireless H AFAIK. 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Corsair Vengeance 2100 for sure.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You don't need the cable for the mic on the wireless H AFAIK. 

That's what I'm saying. So rather than buying a pair of headphones (in your case wireless) and then adding a modmic would be pointless since you want to just go completely wireless, since the general suggestion here is to buy decent headphones and add a modmic instead of buying a gaming headset.

So since the Wireless H is completely wireless and sounds decent, and you can apparently afford it, go for it :)

corsair 2100

That's what I'm saying. So rather than buying a pair of headphones (in your case wireless) and then adding a modmic would be pointless since you want to just go completely wireless, since the general suggestion here is to buy decent headphones and add a modmic instead of buying a gaming headset.

So since the Wireless H is completely wireless and sounds decent, and you can apparently afford it, go for it :)

How much better is the H to the 2100. The $200 difference is kind of appealing. 

How much better is the H to the 2100. The $200 difference is kind of appealing. 

Thanks but I just watched both of those. I think I'm going to give up on wireless at this point and buy the steel series siberia elite, unless you guys know of any better headphones. 

Thanks but I just watched both of those. I think I'm going to give up on wireless at this point and buy the steel series siberia elite, unless you guys know of any better headphones. 

Would you be willing to get a nice pair of headphones and a modmic instead?

Would you be willing to get a nice pair of headphones and a modmic instead?

Yea.

Yea.

Here are my suggestions:

If you want an all-in-one gaming headset, the HyperX Cloud is a good option and is gaining popularity since it sounds decent for the price. While the mic isn't great, it's usable.

The Sennheiser 518's are a great option, but are semi-open. They will have a larger soundstage which is great for gaming, but not if you're planning on taking them in public for listening since that's very inconsiderate to everyone around you.

And for my third suggestion(s), the Sennheiser HD280's or the Audio Technica ATH-M40x's for your closed-back designs. There's reviews for each of them on the forum somewhere, but I can't remember the names of the people who reviewed them so you'll have to Google them (since the LTT search function is wonky sometimes).

And for your modmic, the Zalman ZM-Mic1. The lengthy cable clips onto the cable of the headphones you're wearing and then runs into your microphone jack. It sounds crystal clear, and 9000x better than gaming headset mics (can confirm this from my Logitech G230 and HyperX Cloud headset).

Here are my suggestions:

If you want an all-in-one gaming headset, the HyperX Cloud is a good option and is gaining popularity since it sounds decent for the price. While the mic isn't great, it's usable.

The Sennheiser 518's are a great option, but are semi-open. They will have a larger soundstage which is great for gaming, but not if you're planning on taking them in public for listening since that's very inconsiderate to everyone around you.

And for my third suggestion(s), the Sennheiser HD280's or the Audio Technica ATH-M40x's for your closed-back designs. There's reviews for each of them on the forum somewhere, but I can't remember the names of the people who reviewed them so you'll have to Google them (since the LTT search function is wonky sometimes).

And for your modmic, the Zalman ZM-Mic1. The lengthy cable clips onto the cable of the headphones you're wearing and then runs into your microphone jack. It sounds crystal clear, and 9000x better than gaming headset mics (can confirm this from my Logitech G230 and HyperX Cloud headset).

Would you have any other around the $200 range (excluding the mic).

Would you have any other around the $200 range (excluding the mic).

When you get into that range, the headphone impedance usually goes up, so you'll likely need an amp/dac to power them correctly.

However, there are the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's. You won't need an amp with them.

There's also the open-back Audio Technica ATH AD700x's. These also do not require an amp.

When you get into that range, the headphone impedance usually goes up, so you'll likely need an amp/dac to power them correctly.

However, there are the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro's. You won't need an amp with them.

There's also the open-back Audio Technica ATH AD700x's. These also do not require an amp.

My Maxmimus hero could power everything up to 60 ohms I think. Would either of these be worth it from ATH m50's?

The 700x's would definately, but the Custom One Pro's, it depends. I haven't personally tried them, but MKBHD reviewed them and said he liked them more than the M50's.

I think I'll go with the 700X's then with the mod mic! Thanks so much!