Is it worth it?

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

I vote lcd2, I can give more opinions with my new amplifier on Wednesday, I recommend buying open box LCD2 from "razor dog audio" for 795$ it has fully warranty etc

I went from he500 to LCD2 because the comfort levels were a big difference for me, and the lcd2 fits and feels like an expensive headphone, you definitely feel glad to own them. They're easier to take care of as well.

Sound was also a difference, they image better and have way better bass and mids. Treble is just as good as well

A few days ago, I bought a pair of HE-500s for $600. So far, they sound much better than the DT880s that I previously owned. But here's the thing. I just don't find them that comfortable. Maybe because my DT880s were sooooooo comfortable to wear, or maybe because the HE-500s were not meant to worn that way. So I decided at that moment to get a orthodynamic headphone with better comfort and maybe a different sound signature. And while I was looking around, I found a used pair of Audeze LCD-2s for $750. Here's the question : Is it worth the $150? Are they more comfortable to wear? Do they sound significantly better than the HE-500s? Thanks. 

And also, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but @Lays, could you give your opinions on this? You currently own the LCD-2s and have owned the HE-500s, so I'm just wondering. 

I think LCD-2 would be a nice upgrade from HE500. I have the HE400, and auditioned the LCD-2, and I can say, the LCD2 is kinda big upgrade. LCD2 is very comfortable, although having a real leather pads would add to sweating ears a little more.

Alternatively, you could try getting a focuspad from hifiman. It's their new type of pads that come with the new HE400i and HE560. They're supposed to be more comfortable. I'm just waiting for the pads' price to drop a little, before I get a pair...:)

I vote lcd2, I can give more opinions with my new amplifier on Wednesday, I recommend buying open box LCD2 from "razor dog audio" for 795$ it has fully warranty etc

I went from he500 to LCD2 because the comfort levels were a big difference for me, and the lcd2 fits and feels like an expensive headphone, you definitely feel glad to own them. They're easier to take care of as well.

Sound was also a difference, they image better and have way better bass and mids. Treble is just as good as well

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Thank you very much for responding, and are the "open box LCD-2" brand new? I'm buying them used for $750, so I might as well buy the open box one for $50 more, just to assure that I'm not getting ripped off by the seller. 

The LCDX I had was pretty uncomfortable as far as headphones go. I don't understand why you guys are saying it's comfortable. You might have worn LCDs in a meet but that's not the same as sitting in front of your computer with them on 8hours straight gaming.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The LCDX I had was pretty uncomfortable as far as headphones go. I don't understand why you guys are saying it's comfortable. You might have worn LCDs in a meet but that's not the same as sitting in front of your computer with them on 8hours straight gaming.

I think pretty much all the orthos in that style are uncomfortable. I haven't tried LCDs but I couldn't wear the HD400 for more than an hr. 

@Dark_wizzie

How dare you be displeased with lambskin?! (jk)

I like the leather, I like how it matched the look of the LCDX perfectly. Aesthetically for me it's 10/10. Sometimes though, a plasticy build like the HD800s loses out in sex appeal but makes up for it in comfort. LCDs are already heavy, for example, and LCDX adds to it with a metal casing. Sexy, but heavier. For me it's not unbearable, but I always remember that I'm wearing headphones, whereas with some other headphones I forget that I'm wearing headphones after a while.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I like the leather, I like how it matched the look of the LCDX perfectly. Aesthetically for me it's 10/10. Sometimes though, a plasticy build like the HD800s loses out in sex appeal but makes up for it in comfort. LCDs are already heavy, for example, and LCDX adds to it with a metal casing. Sexy, but heavier. For me it's not unbearable, but I always remember that I'm wearing headphones, whereas with some other headphones I forget that I'm wearing headphones after a while.

But the LCDs have to be more comfortable than the HE-500s right? I know they won't be as comfortable as my previous DT880s, but comfort is the main reason why I'm switching to the LCDS 

I can't answer that for you because I have not tried the HE500s for any extended period of time. Wearing them in a meet for 5 minutes doesn't count.

I can't answer that for you because I have not tried the HE500s for any extended period of time. Wearing them in a meet for 5 minutes doesn't count.

But @Lays has had them for a long period of time, surely he would know if the LCDs were that uncomfortable? 

Different people have different opinions. We also have different sized heads and other physical differences. The LCD2 should be a little lighter than LCDX but other than that, about the same. I had some clamping force issues with my LCDX but I'm pretty sure I can fix that with some tweaking of the headband (which I didn't do because I wanted to sell my LCDX.)

I've tried looking up the answer online but the answers are hard to come by and when I do get them, there doesn't seem to be a consensus. The sound on the LCD2 might be better, you might want to upgrade on that basis alone. You get a difference sound, the Audeze look (which I personally like), leather earpads (if you're into that). The Alpha Dogs are also a fine option. They're lighter than LCD2s for sure, also have leather earpads. They are closed and have a more balanced sound if you're into that (but can still definitely pound on the bass.) They are closed cans, but they sound very open for a closed can, which some say is due to the 3d printed manufacturing process. I tried it out and was quite impressed, especially considering how it's much cheaper than the LCD2. The Alpha Dog weighs 440g without the cable, LCD2 weighs 600g. HE500 weighs 502g without the cable. Obviously there's more to comfort than just weight alone, but weight can be compared easily with numbers.

Oh yeah. I might not have made it clear... Alpha Dogs are planar magnetic headphones, just like the HE500 and LCD2. I never said the LCDs were "THAT unconfortable", as I said, it's not terra-bad, just not as good as I'd like it to be. Some headphones you forget you're wearing them after a while, that's what I want when I'm sitting in front of the computer gaming like crazy, hours on end. I came from speakers... headphones, no matter how comfy to me, will never be as "comfy" as speakers. Also don't forget that the LCDX I had was heavier than Lay's LCD2 by a little bit.

That's because you're coming from HD800. ANY headphones will be less comfortable than the HD800. Man, that thing is very comfortable. I wore it, and I'm constantly afraid it will fall off, due to the lack of sensations (of wearing a headphone), minimal clamping force, minimal earlobes contacts...

Well, I think I went from one of the comfier ones to one of the least comfy ones... But even the HD800s aren't good enough for me sometimes (especially for long podcasts...) so I have a nice AB switch to the rescueeeee! 

But the LCDs have to be more comfortable than the HE-500s right? I know they won't be as comfortable as my previous DT880s, but comfort is the main reason why I'm switching to the LCDS

The lcd2 comfort wise is better in every way compared to the he 500 IMO. The pads are like 3 times as thick with a squishieness that rivals extremely soft memory foam.

The headband actually has padding in it, which is memory foam, they fit on your head better and feel lighter because of how much squishieness is in all the padding.

In terms of earpad comfort, I think the LCD lineup has the softest/squishiest pads of any headphone with that level of performance in audio.

The micro suede earpads are also hella nice, tried them on LCD 3 at a store near me and the suede is so soft!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The earpads are nice, but I'm not a fan of the headband. Maybe it was just my head those weeks, but I felt like the band didn't really contour to my head and instead just had one pressure point on my head. The guy who bought my LCDX told me he was going to switch the headphone band from another headphone onto the LCDX.

I tried the HiFiMAN HE-560 the other day, biiiiiig improvement in comfort over the heavy HE-500. They also sound pretty decent, however I didn't have much time with them, so won't get in too much detail with how they sound.

But I really like they took Jerg's design for the ear pads and implemented that on their own headphones leather+velour. That new headband and the lower weight also helps a lot with the comfort.

The earpads are nice, but I'm not a fan of the headband. Maybe it was just my head those weeks, but I felt like the band didn't really contour to my head and instead just had one pressure point on my head. The guy who bought my LCDX told me he was going to switch the headphone band from another headphone onto the LCDX.

Probably also helps that I'm a big guy with a thick neck, so weight doesn't bug me unless I'm exhausted from working all day.

You can bend the headband a tiny bit to your liking which can help certain people

I tried the HiFiMAN HE-560 the other day, biiiiiig improvement in comfort over the heavy HE-500. They also sound pretty decent, however I didn't have much time with them, so won't get in too much detail with how they sound.

But I really like they took Jerg's design for the ear pads and implemented that on their own headphones leather+velour. That new headband and the lower weight also helps a lot with the comfort.

I also heard the sound signature changed. Have to take that into consideration too. (And price)

Probably also helps that I'm a big guy with a thick neck, so weight doesn't bug me unless I'm exhausted from working all day.

You can bend the headband a tiny bit to your liking which can help certain people

My neck is pretty weak. If I look straight down at my desk, like I'm taking a test, after bout 10 minutes my neck gets tired from keeping my head against gravity...