'Practise' Custom Loop

This might seem silly, but I've been mulling over the idea of building a budget PC in order to try my hand at a custom loop. I wouldn't want to not know what I was doing and potentially ruin expensive hardware. The idea is of course to buy cooling components that I can reuse in a later build. Might seem pointless, but the learning experience is more valuable to me than the finished computer.

The CPU waterblock is not an issue, but I was wondering what GPU I could buy that would be both inexpensive and easy to find a custom waterblock for? I know they make these "One size fits all" blocks that only cool the GPU and not the VRegs or RAM, but I am more looking for a block that cools everything. The overall cost of both is the only concern, so if I need to buy a more expensive card to get a cheaper block or vise versa then so be it.

Also willing to hear reasons why this idea is stupid entirely.

Thanks in advance.

i suppose you could buy a 770 with a 780 (TI) PCB and get a 780 (TI) WB and then later buy a 780 (ti)

(if that excists at all)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

I wood just do a loop with no components to practice

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I dont really think its worthwhile to buy a test card and a test block...installing a block is pretty straightforward--remove the cooer, clean up and reapply paste, apply VRAM heatsinks if necessary, and then install the block. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I dont really think its worthwhile to buy a test card and a test block...installing a block is pretty straightforward--remove the cooer, clean up and reapply paste, apply VRAM heatsinks if necessary, and then install the block. 

Actually, even though I think it would be nice to get to try evey part of building a custom loop, that part is not really my main concern. My main concern is filling the loop and circulating the coolant to bleed all the air. It seems rather involved and I've seen a few people Youtube screw this part up nearly frying their hardware. Also messing up and spilling the coolant everywhere ruining Christmas for everyone.

Actually, even though I think it would be nice to get to try evey part of building a custom loop, that part is not really my main concern. My main concern is filling the loop and circulating the coolant to bleed all the air. It seems rather involved and I've seen a few people Youtube screw this part up nearly frying their hardware. Also messing up and spilling the coolant everywhere ruining Christmas for everyone.

Just run an empty loop then. Also, if you run the pump without powering on any of the components theirs no risk of frying anything--other than the pump...but thats only going to happen if you run it dry. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just watch loads of videos and read some articles and you should be fine. I was afraid of attempting to water-cool my system but now I feel pretty confident! :)

LTT is always here to help you too.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler