Thoughts on 240 watercooling kit?

Im going to be going down the route of watercooling my cpu only and have been looking at kits with all the fitting in the box. Has anyone had any experience with EK it? Below is a link to one i have picked for possible purchase  Anyone able to have a quick look and advise me if it is worth the price? 

Many thanks

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-172-EK

Intel i5 4670k @4.5 | 16GB Patiot Viper Xtreme | Corsair H100i | MSI Z87 GD65 | Crossfire x2 Asus 7950 Direct CUII

250GB OCZ SSD | LG Bluray RW Drive | 750Watt PSU | Corsair 450D | Corsair K50 | Corsair M40

Do not buy kits. There are various reasons for this. I should start off by saying there is nothing bad with a kit. It will work properly and would will have a loop by the end of it. However, in kits the parts you get are typically low-end. I would never recommend a non-laing pump for a loop. Laing pumps are known for being quiet and reliable working for years without any issues. This is just an example. Kits tend to have lower quality everything. Secondly when buying a kit you will not be able to prioritise what you want in a loop. Maybe you are focusing on performance, maybe on looks? A kit will not give you this choice.

Most importantly a kit will not let you learn. Believe me when I say water cooling is a big investment, not only of money but also of time. If you feel that taking your time to look up components and make a parts list and doing research is something you would rather not do then you will be in for a shock later on. If you ever have a problem with your loop you will be much better placed after you have done your research and after selecting your own parts.

Therefore I advise you to go to the two stickys HERE and HERE and spend time reading about watercooling, then make a parts list and draw a diagram of what your loop is going to be, then ask us to review your parts and let you know what we think of the parts you have chosen.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Do not buy kits. There are various reasons for this. I should start off by saying there is nothing bad with a kit. It will work properly and would will have a loop by the end of it. However, in kits the parts you get are typically low-end. I would never recommend a non-laing pump for a loop. Laing pumps are known for being quiet and reliable working for years without any issues. This is just an example. Kits tend to have lower quality everything. Secondly when buying a kit you will not be able to prioritise what you want in a loop. Maybe you are focusing on performance, maybe on looks? A kit will not give you this choice.

Most importantly a kit will not let you learn. Believe me when I say water cooling is a big investment, not only of money but also of time. If you feel that taking your time to look up components and make a parts list and doing research is something you would rather not do then you will be in for a shock later on. If you ever have a problem with your loop you will be much better placed after you have done your research and after selecting your own parts.

Therefore I advise you to go to the two stickys HERE and HERE and spend time reading about watercooling, then make a parts list and draw a diagram of what your loop is going to be, then ask us to review your parts and let you know what we think of the parts you have chosen.

Ghost, what do you think of the following "kit"?

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p2081_240er-Komplettset-12V-Laing-S--775-1155-1156-1oe-2011.html

It has the basics and a Laing pump.

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

U can also opt for the XSPC D5 kit... Many of my friend started off with this kit than upgrade to extra rad and gpu wb... 

http://www.xs-pc.com/products/watercooling-kits/d5-kits/

those are some nice kits, I have a rx360 rad, a ex120 and the res and pomp combo from xspc in my main gaming rig. i did not like the looks of the block so i went whit a ek nikkel plated block.

Q

I've heard that a student can say anything he/she wants

Just a rudimentory mockup of parts list. Chose compression fittings as i think they look smarter. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vG5QexjutZlyvHsVX-GThHcz2Dai7p1oEhjNCM6AA84/edit?usp=sharing

total cost approx. 350£    vs  104 for Corsair Hydro H100i

Custom would look better but over 3x the price worth it??

Intel i5 4670k @4.5 | 16GB Patiot Viper Xtreme | Corsair H100i | MSI Z87 GD65 | Crossfire x2 Asus 7950 Direct CUII

250GB OCZ SSD | LG Bluray RW Drive | 750Watt PSU | Corsair 450D | Corsair K50 | Corsair M40

Just a rudimentory mockup of parts list. Chose compression fittings as i think they look smarter. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vG5QexjutZlyvHsVX-GThHcz2Dai7p1oEhjNCM6AA84/edit?usp=sharing

total cost approx. 350£    vs  104 for Corsair Hydro H100i

this is what i told my friends if u aint gonna explore the wc world than stick to the AIOs regardless of what brand...

If u do have the urge plan wants needs to dive into custom wc.. than go for it...... and also the idea of wc ya gpu too, than custom is the way... or u cld opt for those custom aio for gpu also... cheaper option... 

total cost approx. 350£ vs 104 for Corsair Hydro H100i

Okay lets try and cut the cost for you. First of all, dump the bits power fittings. They are the best but also unnecessarily expensive. Go with EK fittings.

Secondly tubes can bend. You do not need 45 and 90 degree adapters for you fittings.

Thirdly the tubing you choose is an "awkward" size iirc. Pick a popular tubing size. 3/8 1/2 is my favorite size but there are a few others. I recommend going to a fitting section of a water-cooling retailer and choosing the category with the most fittings.

Lastly shop around a bit. eBay is where all of the watercooling retailers compete for price so its my favorite place to buy, most of the retailers make listings for all their items on eBay.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Steer clear of a kit custom loops are a DIY thing. Tailor the loop to suit you and go for 1/2" ID tubing and don't go flashy with fittings bits power are the best and have a price tag to match but EK and Koolance have a decent range.

Try this site for the parts:   www.thecoolingshop.com 

Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted

(Do not try to work the meaning out you will go insane I have tried it)

Okay lets try and cut the cost for you. First of all, dump the bits power fittings. They are the best but also unnecessarily expensive. Go with EK fittings.

Secondly tubes can bend. You do not need 45 and 90 degree adapters for you fittings.

Thirdly the tubing you choose is an "awkward" size iirc. Pick a popular tubing size. 3/8 1/2 is my favorite size but there are a few others. I recommend going to a fitting section of a water-cooling retailer and choosing the category with the most fittings.

Lastly shop around a bit. eBay is where all of the watercooling retailers compete for price so its my favorite place to buy, most of the retailers make listings for all their items on eBay.

Using ek fittings take its down to around £270 which is a nice saving.  Guess the fancy fitting would be for the long haul upgrade.

What would u think of the dcp 4 pump?

Using ek fittings take its down to around £270 which is a nice saving.  Guess the fancy fitting would be for the long haul upgrade.

What would u think of the dcp 4 pump?

I can only recommend Laing pumps due to reliability.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-005-TL&groupid=962&catid=2141

That's a laing pump in a combo deal with a res. works out about £10 cheaper then seperate aswell.  I think this would do a good job?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-005-TL&groupid=962&catid=2141

That's a laing pump in a combo deal with a res. works out about £10 cheaper then seperate aswell.  I think this would do a good job?

That's fine.

That's fine.

Now just draw out your loop as it is now.

Total parts list, I don't think I've missed anything.

post-8421-0-89362200-1370116395.jpg

You need to draw out your loop, like you did before but do it again considering the new parts you added.

All the things like temperature sensors are irrelevant to your loop and make no difference from a "loop assessment" point of view.