£1k Gaming HTPC for my parents

Damikiller37

Right so basically my dad asked me to get him the best HTPC that he could game on and for both him and my mum to have as a HTPC in the living room. This is what I have come up with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£161.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (£34.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£101.77 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£60.46 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  (£38.38 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£68.54 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard with USB Integrated Multi Touch Track Pad (£27.96)
Other: Pure 10M OFC 3.5mm to 2 x Twin Phono RCA Audio 24k Gold Plated Cable Lead (£5.79)
Other: CSL - 10m Full HD HDMI cable 1.4a / 2.0 (High Speed) with Ethernet (£6.60)
Other: ZOTAC GTX 780 Overclocked 3GB (£287.74)
Total: £925.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-12 17:39 BST+0100

So as you can see I'm trying to keep the PC pretty compact mainly because my mum is not going to be happy with a massive PC to be in the living room. The PC will most likely be away from the TV since all of the shelves are full hence why I have the 10m HDMI and RCA to 3.5mm jack cables. The budget is up to £1000. Initially I had the MSI 780 but the Zotac one is on a really good deal so I don't see why I shouldn't go with that one. Since the space is limited for the PSU when a CD/DVD drive is installed I may either get a shorter PSU or get an external CD/DVD drive instead. I already have the OS so don't worry about that and I will get some kind of a wireless mouse so that my dad can game with it.

Let me know if you think that I could change anything that would be worth it or if some of the parts aren't good. Thanks.

EDIT: He will be gaming on a 1080p TV btw

thats more than enough power for a htpc

why are you using an i5 and 780?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

He said for gaming...

Anyway personally I would buy a non devil's canyon CPU. The price difference means nothing

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Since it will be used by my dad for gaming and he wants to be able to max everything if he is going to spend money on a computer.

He said for gaming...

Anyway personally I would buy a non devil's canyon CPU. The price difference means nothing

Since it will be used by my dad for gaming and he wants to be able to max everything if he is going to spend money on a computer.

my brain skipped that part xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015