Where do I connect the monitors to?

FlashingKool_Z

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I just thought this was the most appropriate section. Please correct me if this is in the wrong one. (I'm new, if you haven't noticed already) 

1. So, I plan on purchasing a bunch of 780 tis and a bunch of new monitors for multitasking and editing (and gaming of course, but only on 1 monitor). I'm going to be buying 4 new monitors, they're going to be 3 X PB278Qs and a PB287Q. 

Now, the problem is whether I can wire up all these monitors. I have heard that even if you go SLI, you're supposed to hook up all the monitors to one card, instead of spreading them through the cards. BUT I also read somewhere that if you have more than 3 monitors (which in my case, yes), you're supposed to also utilize second card. Is this true? 

2. I noticed that I could actually hook up all 4 monitors to one card (if I HAVE to connect all the monitors to 1 card), by connecting the 2 X PB278Qs with 2 Dual Link-DVIs, the other PB278Q with HDMI, and the PBP287Q (4k) with DP. The problem is, can HDMI 1.4 handle 1440p @ 60hz? I keep reading that people with some 27" Dell monitor had trouble running 1440p via HDMI, so I was wondering if 1440p @ 60hz is possible through HDMI 1.4? 

3. Linus said in his PB278Q review that we shouldn't connect the monitor using HDMI, is there a specific reason why? 

4. Anyone have a idea how I should arrange the monitors? I kinda want the 1440p monitors to be in a surround setup of some sort, but I can't place another monitor next to them because I don't have enough space in my desk. Should I wall mount the 4k one, or is there like some voodoo 4 monitor mount of some sort? 

5. Just in case, if I happen to go 1440p surround for gaming, should I go with 2 or 3 way SLI? I'll probably be gaming with the 4k one, but just in case I want to go 1440p surround,(after Linus's surround build guide, it's becoming more and more attractive) is 2, or even 3 way SLI enough to run games at medium-high settings at around 60 fps? And no, I will not be going AMD, due to my previous 2 270s failing within a month, it's just a personal biased opinion. And will the 3GBs of Vram be enough? Might go 780 6GBs if needed. (not titan blacks, ever) 

First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I just thought this was the most appropriate section. Please correct me if this is in the wrong one. (I'm new, if you haven't noticed already) 

1. So, I plan on purchasing a bunch of 780 tis and a bunch of new monitors for multitasking and editing (and gaming of course, but only on 1 monitor). I'm going to be buying 4 new monitors, they're going to be 3 X PB278Qs and a PB287Q. 

Now, the problem is whether I can wire up all these monitors. I have heard that even if you go SLI, you're supposed to hook up all the monitors to one card, instead of spreading them through the cards. BUT I also read somewhere that if you have more than 3 monitors (which in my case, yes), you're supposed to also utilize second card. Is this true? 

2. I noticed that I could actually hook up all 4 monitors to one card (if I HAVE to connect all the monitors to 1 card), by connecting the 2 X PB278Qs with 2 Dual Link-DVIs, the other PB278Q with HDMI, and the PBP287Q (4k) with DP. The problem is, can HDMI 1.4 handle 1440p @ 60hz? I keep reading that people with some 27" Dell monitor had trouble running 1440p via HDMI, so I was wondering if 1440p @ 60hz is possible through HDMI 1.4? 

3. Linus said in his PB278Q review that we shouldn't connect the monitor using HDMI, is there a specific reason why? 

4. Anyone have a idea how I should arrange the monitors? I kinda want the 1440p monitors to be in a surround setup of some sort, but I can't place another monitor next to them because I don't have enough space in my desk. Should I wall mount the 4k one, or is there like some voodoo 4 monitor mount of some sort? 

5. Just in case, if I happen to go 1440p surround for gaming, should I go with 2 or 3 way SLI? I'll probably be gaming with the 4k one, but just in case I want to go 1440p surround,(after Linus's surround build guide, it's becoming more and more attractive) is 2, or even 3 way SLI enough to run games at medium-high settings at around 60 fps? And no, I will not be going AMD, due to my previous 2 270s failing within a month, it's just a personal biased opinion. And will the 3GBs of Vram be enough? Might go 780 6GBs if needed. (not titan blacks, ever) 

I'm pretty sure you can plug any monitor into any of the ports on the graphics card.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I'm pretty sure you can plug any monitor into any of the ports on the graphics card.

Even VGA though? 

if you are using VGA at all then you are doing it wrong. there is enough inputs on 2  cards and those monitors to no even have to do VGA.

you would just use DVI on the 1440p monitors and DP on the 4k. I would def go with the 6GB 780s over the 3GB ones if you are wanting to game @ 4k. I would probably just get 2 cards and if the games are not running at the FPS/setting you like then get a 3rd card.

Thanks! So you are saying I should use the DVI ports on both of the cards? 

Even VGA though? 

Yeah, but avoid them because they will result in terrible picture quality. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

I missed the part about doing surround gaming.

on 1 card I would do 2 of the 1440p monitors on the DVI ports and the 3rd one on the DP port.

then on the second card plug the 4k monitor in to the DP port.

As far as I'm aware you just need to have the monitors you plan on using for surround gaming all plunged into the same GPU. This may have changed though so someone feel free to correct me on this.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the help! 

• 1 year later...

Thanks also for this topic help me a lot wantering the same think if i can use on sli all of both cards ports 

ty