SSD Choices

Gredore

Hello All,

My system has been running off of a slow-ish hard-drive for the last year or so and I recognise that I need to invest in a SSD. I am thinking of buying 2 840 pros (256 gb) and putting them in RAID 0 however my motherboard only supports 2 SATA 3 ports which would mean my storage hard-drive would be very sluggish. Should I a) Buy 2 840 pros and ignore the slow hardrive issue.  Buy 1 840 pro but have less speed and capacity yet have a faster harddrive. c) Buy a different SSD - My knowledge on SSDs isn't that great (You may have guessed) ?

A new motherboard isn't an option as I don't have the largest budget.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

George

Buy one 512GB Crucial MX100.

Very close to pinning what SATA3 is capable of on both read and write performance, unless you really need the throughput there is no reason to use RAID 0 with a pair of SSDs, just one will be like lightning for most tasks.

If you want to spend more money there is the Samsung 850 PRO or Intel 730, but for desktop use I'd use an MX100 because of its low cost per GB and the fact they are good drives and the 512GB is very fast.

Thanks. I'm probably going to say something stupid now, sorry. I thought that raid0 increased the performance of a drive and having 2 fast drives could be sped up so that it was better than 1 fast drive. I don't really know.

Thanks. I'm probably going to say something stupid now, sorry. I thought that raid0 increased the performance of a drive and having 2 fast drives could be sped up so that it was better than 1 fast drive. I don't really know.

Yes is speeds up the performance but SSDs are already really fast, so you won't really notice a difference if you go RAID0 with two SSDs.

Oh ok. I'll do a bit of research for some 512 gb ssds. That crucial one looks decent though

If you're thinking of getting 2 840 Evo 256, why not get 1 MX100 256 and a new m/bd? About the same price.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!