Broadcom doubling mobile Wi-Fi speed with new chip

ionbasa

Better Bluetooth and indoor location accuracy sets up the 2X2 MIMO combo chip for powering mobile devices and apps ready for location-based marketing and targeted advertising.

Going into September, the big mobile update on everyone's minds is likely the iPhone 6, but there is plenty of less flashy but notable hardware bits on the way too.

Intel will likely have its own news next week, but Broadcom is kicking off the month with a new processor boasted by its maker to be the industry’s highest performing 802.11ac combo (Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) chip.

The BCM4358 is a big leap for Broadcom as it is said to double the mobile Wi-Fi speed with a 867 Mbps Wi-Fi data throughput rate and 80MHz channel bandwidth

http://www.zdnet.com/broadcom-doubling-its-mobile-wi-fi-speed-with-new-chip-7000033217/

I find it interesting that Broadcom is finally stepping up their game, I guess they needed to rival Qualcomm Atheros line up somehow. WHile this sort of chipset news doesn't excite me, I found it interesting that the journalist alluded to Intel's new chipset coming next week. I am glad to see that support is being tailored for Android, Windows, and Chrome OS> Hopefully that means better Linux support for Broadcom's new chip.

TL;DR: 

• Broadcom's first 80Mhz WiFi AC + Bluetooth combo chipset
  • Intel to release their chipset "soon" (next week)
  • Broadcom has a new feature to help Bluetooth location accuracy via RTT

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.