Nvidia 660 vs AMD 7850

SpamBrie

Nvidia 660 vs AMD 7850 for a mid to low end rig.

Keep in mind I probably will be using an i3-2100.

Price vs Performance or other alternatives with slightly higher spec.

If the 660 is cheaper, then go for that as it is faster than the 7850 at stock speeds and has some advanced features like CUDA and PhysX, but if you are confident in overclocking, then the 7850 will smash the 660. In all honesty both cards are fine, I'd say go with what ever is cheaper, and neither of them should bottleneck the CPU.

Computer Specs (The Space Fridge):

CPU: Intel i5 3570k | Motherboard: MSI Z77A G45 | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Blu | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 (60GB) | 

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500GB) | GPU: MSI HD 7950 Fwin Frozr iii | PSU: Corsair CX600 | Case: NZXT Phantom 410 w/ NZXT Blue LED strip

I beg to differ when it comes to OC'ing the 660 is more comparable to a 7870 then a 7850.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

The GTX 660 is more comparable to an HD 7870 in terms of performance and price.

The HD 7850 still remains an excellent card, you can get really good 2GB ones with great non-reference coolers @ around 190$ , the 660 is about 230$ and the HD 7870 is about 240$.

The HD 7870 & 7850 have a slight advantage due to their larger memory interface, while the 660 is slightly more efficient and supports Cuda + Physx.

If I were to get a 660 I'd go for the Asus model, it costs the same as a regular model but it runs cooler, quieter and overclocks better.

If I were to get an HD 7850 or HD 7870 I'd get any dual/triple fan model from Gigabyte, MSI, Sapphire, Asus or XFX .

both are great cards, but if I choose one... i stay whit the AMD 7850 all the way

the 7850 2GB is the winner to me above the 660 2GB

• AMD 7850 - 2GB GDDR5 256bits
  • gBANDWIDTH = 170.2 GB/s
  • gSHADERS = 1024 unified
  • gCPUoc = 1050 mhz
  • gMEMoc = 1330 mhz (x4)
  • gPIXELfillrate = 33.6 GP/s
  • gTEXTUREfillrate = 67.2 GT/s

if you compare it to 660, you should get the 7870, better for OC'ing

i would suggest you 7850 best for budget gaming it's also more cheaper than gtx 660.it uses less power .

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently in the same boat. deciding between those two cards. I ended up going for the 7850 from Asus, reason being is that it was a whole lot cheaper than the 660. After having played with it I am a happy chappy =). But I think they are both really good cards!