Double channel and single channel question.

Hi guys, can I buy kit 2x4Gb ram running it in dual channel and then, when i need more ram in the future can i drop in another 4gb (of same type - kingston hyper x) that would run in single? So the kit (2x4) would run double channel and the one bought afterwards only single channel? Is it possible? I hope you understand what I mean, thanks guys :D

If you are planning upgrade, just buy cheapest branded stick of 8gb ram you can get (1.5v max, any frequency, heatsink is good also even if its low profile ). Then later you buy another one so you have dual channel.

If you are planning upgrade, just buy cheapest branded stick of 8gb ram you can get (1.5v max, any frequency, heatsink is good also even if its low profile ). Then later you buy another one so you have dual channel.

Well this is one way to solve my problem but I wont utilize those 16gbs for just gaming.. no video editing or stuff.. And i dont feel like paying more when i wont use it.. i'd rather save my money towards my future GPU. Could you please answer me about my question - If i can run both channels - 2x4gb in dual and one 4gb in single? Thank you :)

Hi guys, can I buy kit 2x4Gb ram running it in dual channel and then, when i need more ram in the future can i drop in another 4gb (of same type - kingston hyper x) that would run in single? So the kit (2x4) would run double channel and the one bought afterwards only single channel? Is it possible? I hope you understand what I mean, thanks guys :D

If you run your computer with 3 sticks of memory you'll end up running them all in single channel, not recommended unless you are not doing anything intensive with the pc.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I am not 100% sure but I think if you have three out of four slots filled, the entire system will run in single channel mode. Wait for others to confirm though. 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Well this is one way to solve my problem but I wont utilize those 16gbs for just gaming.. no video editing or stuff.. And i dont feel like paying more when i wont use it.. i'd rather save my money towards my future GPU. Could you please answer me about my question - If i can run both channels - 2x4gb in dual and one 4gb in single? Thank you :)

you can have 3 sticks, but they wont run at dual channel. dual channel is only 2 sticks and it is color-coordinated on mobo also. 

for gaming you definitly also dont need 12 gb of ram. just get 1 8gb stick. rest save for your future gpu. you will save like 30 bucks for same performance.

Then you got upgradability option in far future  with no compromises - neither for dual channel nor for size.