7950 weird performance issues

Premchand

Some times i get this score http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2680727 and other times this http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2682980

Same clockspeeds same everything.. also have this in games like Battlefield 4 first round of the map runs great and the second round runs much poorer.

I also noticed that in games sometimes GPU-Z reports its running games at the default clocks... while GPU-Z list the correct overclock at the overview(this was not the case with the 3dmark test however. i checked)

Anyone have any idea what is going on ? i am at a loss

It may have something to do with the graphics drivers not being approved. You could try re-installing the drivers maybe? That could work but I'm not certain.

Your card might be overheating which is probably causing it to underclock itself. Install MSI Afterburner and play BF4 for a while until the frame rates start to drop. Then go to MSI Afterburner and check whether the core frequency of your card is dipping. Make sure that your case has proper airflow and that the GPU temps are normal.

Check out this video where Linus fixed his GTX 660 TI which was thermal throttling:

Did you experienced driver reset before doing the test with low score? By driver reset i mean the screen will go black and then popup "Driver has stopped responding blablabla"? 

If yes, that is your problem. You need to reboot when that happen.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Did you experienced driver reset before doing the test with low score? By driver reset i mean the screen will go black and then popup "Driver has stopped responding blablabla"? 

If yes, that is your problem. You need to reboot when that happen.

That was it! I was trying to get a higher OC but it was not stable and tried a slightly lower OC and saw a much lower score... than tried a OC which i knew was stable and saw the much lower score too! Never knew a reboot was necessary after that, thanks!

However that does not explain the battlefield situation.. though Battlefield 4 rounds are hard to compare and it might be my imagination. Or maybe i missed the driver reset when i went AFK or something, but i highly doubt that. It could be that it is running at stock clocks which GPU-Z is reporting it is.

My GPU max temp according to GPU-Z is 68c after some hours of playing Battlefield. Thanks for your input guys 

Figured it out. Between rounds i would alt tab and watch a youtube video while i had to wait and when a youtube video is open it will run @ stock clocks