Custom PC Build - Advice Please!

The_Predator

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, so please excuse me! I have recently decided to consider upgrading my current PC Build. For some time, I've wanted a Gaming PC (for years, in fact), and I am posting here for your constructive criticism, feedback, thoughts and opinions! Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. :)

Ideally, I am looking to build a "High-End" PC, which is "Future proof" which can be both used for Gaming AS WELL AS 3D Rendering.
In this build, there will be several components, of which have already been purchased, and used in a previous PC Gaming Build, of which, I am now "upgrading", these components will be stated as " * "
Maximum spend allowance is £2700.00, excluding a monitor(s) and accessories. 
So far, this is what I have come up with:

Intel Core i7-4770k Quad-Core Proccessor - (I plan to "Overclock") = £227.94 *
CRYORIG R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler = £58.98
Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard = £190.00
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 = £261.32
Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive = £281.92
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive = £52.74 * 
Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3.0GB Platinum Video Card (2-Way SLI) = £549.59   - Will Wait For New NVIDIA Graphic Cards To Be Released
Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3.0GB Platinum Video Card (2-Way SLI) = £549.59
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case = £87.13
Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply = £132.44
Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer = £80.05 *
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) = £83.31
Aerocool DS 140mm Black 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan = £17.90
                                                                          x7  = £125.30
Total (based on pcpartpicker.com) = £2678.49

Aim: Gaming, Web Browsing and 3D Rendering
Monitors: I plan to use 1 monitor, BUT I also plan on having SEVERAL "high resultion" monitors (in the future)
Peripherals: These will not be included in the aforementioned build (with the exception of the Operating System)
Mouse: Logitech G300S
Headset: Astro A40
Keyboard: Logitech K120
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 

These numbers (potentially) will not represent the total cost of this build. This is purely for demonstrational reasons (I may not necessarily buy from the suppliers presented on this (http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kJr3NG) build). I will most likely purchase from a single supplier, most likely  http://www.scan.co.uk/
Thank you in advance..
- Pred

Hi OP,

First things first, your build looks really solid! Obviously everyone has different tastes, but if I were in your situation I would make a few changes:

• Instead of getting a 4770k, why not get a 4790k? The 4790k is the refreshed model with a higher stock clock. Here in Australia they are about the same price too.
  • I would save some money and get 16GB of RAM instead of 32GB. No games at the moment use more than 8GB, I think 16GB will future proof you for a while and if games start becoming more demanding you can just buy another 16GB kit (which will be much cheaper by then). However I'm not sure how much difference RAM makes with 3D rendering, so you might want to find out if the extra would be beneficial for that.
  • I think you could find a ~500gb SSD for much cheaper than the one you have linked. Click here for an example.
  • New NVIDIA cards are going to be out in less than a month most likely. If you wait til then, you could buy one of the cards from the news series, or buy your 780GTX Ti's at a discounted price. Something to think about :)
  • Just personal taste here, but I would deck out your rig with Noctua fans instead of Aerocools. I can't rate them highly enough!

Regardless, your build looks great. Would love to see some photos when you finish it!

Hi OP,

First things first, your build looks really solid! Obviously everyone has different tastes, but if I were in your situation I would make a few changes:

• Instead of getting a 4770k, why not get a 4790k? The 4790k is the refreshed model with a higher stock clock. Here in Australia they are about the same price too.
  • I would save some money and get 16GB of RAM instead of 32GB. No games at the moment use more than 8GB, I think 16GB will future proof you for a while and if games start becoming more demanding you can just buy another 16GB kit (which will be much cheaper by then). However I'm not sure how much difference RAM makes with 3D rendering, so you might want to find out if the extra would be beneficial for that.
  • I think you could find a ~500gb SSD for much cheaper than the one you have linked. Click here for an example.
  • New NVIDIA cards are going to be out in less than a month most likely. If you wait til then, you could buy one of the cards from the news series, or buy your 780GTX Ti's at a discounted price. Something to think about :)
  • Just personal taste here, but I would deck out your rig with Noctua fans instead of Aerocools. I can't rate them highly enough!

Regardless, your build looks great. Would love to see some photos when you finish it!

Hello Venusia,

Thank you for taking the time to respond! 

As stated in the Original Post, there will be several components, of which I had previously used in a PC Gaming Build (the 4770k is one of these components), these components are listed as " * ". Whilst I am interested in the 4790k (and higher cores!), I am not currently prepared to upgrade my CPU (well, at least not for a considerable length of time).

That aside, thank you for your contribution. Your response was both informative and useful, Venusia, I will be taking your feedback into consideration.

Many Thanks!

Hello Venusia,

Thank you for taking the time to respond! 

As stated in the Original Post, there will be several components, of which I had previously used in a PC Gaming Build (the 4770k is one of these components), these components are listed as " * ". Whilst I am interested in the 4790k (and higher cores!), I am not currently prepared to upgrade my CPU (well, at least not for a considerable length of time).

That aside, thank you for your contribution. Your response was both informative and useful, Venusia, I will be taking your feedback into consideration.

Many Thanks!

Silly me! I must have skipped over that part. Definitely keep the 4770k then because there isn't much of a difference.

Silly me! I must have skipped over that part. Definitely keep the 4770k then because there isn't much of a difference.

Not to worry! Thank you for your feedback. :)

Anyone else have any feedback/suggestions?

I see no problem in the build. It's good for the price

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad