EVGA GTX 670 FTW Review

Mitsu88

I purchased the EVGA GTX 670 around October 2012 for an upgrade from a GTX 560. The 670 FTW is a brilliant card but before the initial purchase I had some reservations about the card especially concerning the traditional stock cooler included. When I received the product however my initial impressions were great. The card was well packaged and included a large amount of accessories. These included extra molex power-connectors, poster, case badge, case stickers, VGA to DVI monitor adapter and driver disk.

The card itself looks great with its unique FTW card artwork on the case and a cooler from the EVGA GTX 680 plus a full sized GTX 680 PCB. The card length is great as it is not to long and can be fitted within small factor Pcs without a problem.

When the card was installed, the latest driver + the newest EVGA precision X software were installed from the Internet then everything was ready to go. However I noticed when I fired up Guild Wars 2 that the temperatures were quite High and the fan usage was being fully utilised. Within the EVGA Precision X software I adjusted the fan curve profile for the system and when Guild Wars 2 was fired up again the temperatures were very low which was great. The noise was a massive surprise also. When I was playing Guild Wars 2 the noise level was very low even at 60% + usage. Which for a stock cooler I found very impressive.

The performance of the card is brilliant. I ran a few high demanding games such as crisis 2 and Guild Wars 2 and more recently Farcry 3. In Crysis 2 I was getting avarege FPS of 70 +. Guild Wars 2 average FPS on full graphics and phys X was well over 100 even in the most intense PVP situations. The recent release of Farcry 3 also produced average FPS of over 70+.

Overall the EVGA GTX 670 FTW is a great card. Lots of accessories and great looks. The card has low noise levels for standard cooler and the cooling is great even under large load. The performance is brilliant and the price is great for the performance VS a 680.

Mitsu88 rating of 9 out of 10

One thing about this card is that if PrecisionX doesn't startup, the fan won't spin near fast enough! I was playing GTA IV and realized my FPS was low. Then felt behind the card and little air was coming out. As I opened PrecisionX the temps were 72C and the fan started screaming! I figured there would be some sort of on the card fan control, but apparently not. Besides that its a great card!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

That is true Andrew, EVGA Precision needs to be running constantly in the background for the fan curve to be properly utilised. You can tick the windows sync option which is suppost to use the fan curve setting that you set from startup, but don't work as the settings can only be applied when the precision software is running.

With proper setting though under full load the temperature of the card can be kept under 60c easily and with little noise.