Build gaming/video editing 2560x1440

Hi everyone,

I wanted to upgrade from my laptop M17x to a gaming desk.

I do already have a "wishlist" but if u will have some tips and advice will be great! My budget is around 2500 € (im from italy). Im aiming to play new pc games like watch dogs witcher and dark souls at ultra settings. Im planning just a single monitor build btw at 2560x1440.

The pc will be like:

Cpu: intel i? (Need some help here)

Cpu cooler: beQuiet! Dark rock 3

Ram: corsair dominator platinum 16gb 1866 mhz

Gpu: nVidia Gtx Evga 780 acx 6gb in SLI (overkill?)

Mobo: asus z97A

Ssd: intel 730 240gb

Hdd: wd caviar green 2tb

Psu: ?

Case: corsair graphite 760t

Monitor: dell u2713hm

For video editing i mean Shadowplay and some light editing with vegas. Thanks in advice and apologize for my bad english! Josh

Hi everyone,

I wanted to upgrade from my laptop M17x to a gaming desk.

I do already have a "wishlist" but if u will have some tips and advice will be great! My budget is around 2500 € (im from italy). Im aiming to play new pc games like watch dogs witcher and dark souls at ultra settings. Im planning just a single monitor build btw at 2560x1440.

The pc will be like:

Cpu: intel i? (Need some help here)

Cpu cooler: beQuiet! Dark rock 3

Ram: corsair dominator platinum 16gb 1866 mhz

Gpu: nVidia Gtx Evga 780 acx 6gb in SLI (overkill?)

Mobo: asus z97A

Ssd: intel 730 240gb

Hdd: wd caviar green 2tb

Psu: ?

Case: corsair graphite 760t

Monitor: dell u2713hm

For video editing i mean Shadowplay and some light editing with vegas. Thanks in advice and apologize for my bad english! Josh

I recommend an i5 for the cpu, for gaming an i7 just isn't needed. For light editing it'll do the job fine too. 

The bequiet! Dark rock 3 should cool the cpu without any issue.

The dominator platinum isn't necessary at all. If you're set on Corsair ram, go for the dominator series, much better value for the money.

As for the psu, I recommend maybe a Corsair RM series unit. I personally use the RM650 and I can't recommend it enough. The only downside is it's a little on the expensive side.

I think the dual 780 6gb cards are overkill for what you're doing. I think either switching to dual 770's or one 780ti is a much more cost effective option for you.

Hope this helps :) 

I recommend an i5 for the cpu, for gaming an i7 just isn't needed. For light editing it'll do the job fine too. 

The bequiet! Dark rock 3 should cool the cpu without any issue.

The dominator platinum isn't necessary at all. If you're set on Corsair ram, go for the dominator series, much better value for the money.

As for the psu, I recommend maybe a Corsair RM series unit. I personally use the RM650 and I can't recommend it enough. The only downside is it's a little on the expensive side.

I think the dual 780 6gb cards are overkill for what you're doing. I think either switching to dual 770's or one 780ti is a much more cost effective option for you.

Hope this helps :)

Helped alot, really appreciate. Should i go for a i5 4690? 770 2 or 4 (jetstream) gb? Or is totally better a 780ti?

Helped alot, really appreciate. Should i go for a i5 4690? 770 2 or 4 (jetstream) gb? Or is totally better a 780ti?

If you're going for 770 sli, get the 2gb cards. Much more cost effective with a relatively little hit to performance in sli. However I think the best idea is to price up both, see which would give you more overall vram etc. and pick the best option. 

And the i5 4690 would do you proud :)

If you don't mind spending all of your 2500€, I would get the best stuff you can afford. If it's getting over the budget, try to cut some money from the RAM. Also, Intel 730 is not the best SSD IMO. Crucial M550 or Samsung 840 EVO/PRO can be faster and cheaper. I would also say that getting a bigger SSD is not a bad idea at all.

Regarding your GPU, just make sure you have at least 3GB of memory to handle your 1440p just fine. A GTX 780 SLI will require a big PSU, maybe get a 780Ti (3GB+) and go SLI if needed in the future or GTX 770 (3GB+) SLI.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

And if ill change to a 4k resolution? (Single monitor) should i change something in the build? Is it actually worth going for that?

And if ill change to a 4k resolution? (Single monitor) should i change something in the build? Is it actually worth going for that?

Usually, for 4K it's recommended 3/4GB of memory and SLI/CF of a 780/r9 290 I believe.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Hi there,

You said that you are going to use the PC for gaming/video editing and, in general, I think that with i5 you will be fine. One quick advice, though. I would change the WD Green HDD. I presume that your OS will be on the SSD and you will put some software and games on the HDD. You should know that the Green line is designed for storage purposes, like saving photos, documents, videos, etc.
Think about getting a WD Black, which is a high performance drive, recommended for demanding software and heavy gaming and comes with longer warranty. You could take a WD Blue, which can be considerate an upgrade too, but it goes up to 1 TB. I leave you some more information about the WD Black.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

Hope this helps

WD Representative

www.wdc.com/en/