FX-6300

Hello everybody,

Is the AMD FX-6300 A Cpu that can handle OC to 3.8-4ghz easily? Is this CPU Good for gaming and Vidoe editing? Will this CPU Last a long time or I would need to change it in a year or two? I'm really interested in this CPU But i'm  not sure about it. Will it be really snappy ? It's really a sweet spot for me and my budget of 600$ with the OS. I Hope I will be able to keep it for 4 years and I'll take care of my computer alot. Should I buy it? I will add a Coolermaster 212 cpu fan 

Thank you all!!

You may as well just get an FX 8350. 4GHz clock out of the box. And it has 8 cores vs the 6 on the FX 6300.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

@Manar 

There's a lot of variability in the chip lottery with the FX-6300. Some will overclock well and some will be horrible at overclocking. Only one way to find out and that's to try it yourself.

"Rawr XD"

@Manar If you want good overclocking, get an 8350, they tend to be pretty awesome in terms of overclocks.  Had a friend that got his to 4.2GHz no problem.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Hello everybody,

Is the AMD FX-6300 A Cpu that can handle OC to 3.8-4ghz easily? Is this CPU Good for gaming and Vidoe editing? Will this CPU Last a long time or I would need to change it in a year or two? I'm really interested in this CPU But i'm  not sure about it. Will it be really snappy ? It's really a sweet spot for me and my budget of 600$ with the OS. I Hope I will be able to keep it for 4 years and I'll take care of my computer alot. Should I buy it? I will add a Coolermaster 212 cpu fan 

Thank you all!!

With a decent aftermarket heatsink for my son's pc with an AMD FX 6300 I got 4.2+ GHz with good temps despite not messing with voltages.  For gaming this cpu has been wonderful paired with my son's GTX 760 for 1080p gaming and maxed settings.  As for video editing I can't comment as I don't do it.  In regards to the CM 212 aftermarket cooling solution that is a good choice for sure.   Also I have to mention that the AMD FX 6300 is coming down in price making it an even better buy.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

OP what video card and monitor do you have or plan to get for this system?  Also let me say if you are looking to the future some people might say get that cheap Intel Dual Core Anniversary cpu right now and put it on a board that has more upgrade potential for the future.  When you get more money you could get a much better cpu and have a better system than say you would by going with a current AMD build.

OP what video card and monitor do you have or plan to get for this system?  Also let me say if you are looking to the future some people might say get that cheap Intel Dual Core Anniversary cpu right now and put it on a board that has more upgrade potential for the future.  When you get more money you could get a much better cpu and have a better system than say you would by going with a current AMD build.

Is your son's pc running snappy? and since when does he have it? I might go with the r7 260x or the r9270 I'm not sure yet. and thanks alot for the comment! 

@Manar If you want good overclocking, get an 8350, they tend to be pretty awesome in terms of overclocks.  Had a friend that got his to 4.2GHz no problem.

it's my first build and I dont want to miss up my first cpu. will the 8320 do great in overclocking as well? 

Hello everybody,

Thank you all!!

yes the fx-6300 can handle that overclock and it will be able to handle the workload you want to do. you will need to add some volts to the cpu but i had mine at 4.0ghz with a hyper T4 before i went watercooling and now since i have gone to watercooling im now sitting on 4.5ghz and i have no problems with anything i throw at it

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

yes the fx-6300 can handle that overclock and it will be able to handle the workload you want to do. you will need to add some volts to the cpu but i had mine at 4.0ghz with a hyper T4 before i went watercooling and now since i have gone to watercooling im now sitting on 4.5ghz and i have no problems with anything i throw at it

Oh nice. But i dont want to water cool i dont have enough knowlodge in it . I'm not going to do some crazy overclocking. Just a bit to get closer to 4 ghz . the The max i'll go might be 3.8ghz to get a little more boost. thanks for the comment. 

Oh nice. But i dont want to water cool i dont have enough knowlodge in it . I'm not going to do some crazy overclocking. Just a bit to get closer to 4 ghz . the The max i'll go might be 3.8ghz to get a little more boost. thanks for the comment. 

With the cooler you are getting it will run cooler than my son's setup and again I got 4.2 with no overvolting.  His cooler was an air cooler.  I forget the name brand but it wasn't like it was top notch.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/ncix-bundle-asrock-970-extreme3-87-91829-1046.htm?gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2meeDuW4mvIDoTIwFGrdD0w3AOg8sZj2t4ZpVf35EXi_UGgKWaPD_BwE

It always depends on the deals you find.  If I researched that board and it was any good then in this situation here I'd go with an 8320 possibly.  That is if I was buying it for my son or someone else who doesn't care about physX.  The board only supports Crossfire so not the board for me personally.

Funny thing though is there are many applications where they don't take advantage of multiple threads and so the AMD FX 6300 is more than enough for audio/video editing.  The architecturefor FX cpus is ****ed up.  You would think the AMD FX 8320 would be so much better but it is not.  However there are a few examples in this link below that show where an AMD FX 8320 would help.  I think though if you can't find a good deal on an AMD FX 8320 cpu/mobo combo deal I would just got with the AMD FX 6300.  Oh and note that the AMD FX 6300 in Turbo is 100 MHz faster than the AMD FX 8320.  Also in gaming the AMD FX 8320 hardly ever helps with the more cores and often gets beat by the AMD FX 6300.  Now let me say though I wonder how the AMD FX 8320 performs at higher resolutions than 1920x1080p? If anyone wants to shed some light on this please do to help the OP.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/fx-8350-8320-6300-4300_7.html

With the cooler you are getting it will run cooler than my son's setup and again I got 4.2 with no overvolting.  His cooler was all air.

Thanks alot sir. You really helped me ! 

2zh9zd.png
http://valid.canardpc.com/2zh9zd

Mine was happy... (that voltage is wrong, my multi meter displayed 1.45 - 1.48V) ((24-7 clock was 4.7GHz @ 55-60*C on an antec kuhler 620))

Main rig

CPU: I7 4820K @4.8GHz || Cooler: Corsair H100 || Display: LG 34UM95 || MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x79 || RAM: AMD 1600MHz 2x 4GB || GPU: Two AMD R9 290's @1050MHz core 1400MHz Memory || Case: Cooler master HAF 922 || SSD: Samsung 830 128GB and PNY XLR8 120GB SSD in raid 0 || HDD: 2x Seagate barracuda 1.5TB
Guest rig
CPU: I5 3330S || MOBO: ECS H61H2-I5 || Ram: 2x 2GB Samsung 1333MHz || GPU: Radeon HD 6970 || PSU: Antec Earth-watts 750watt
HTPC
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720BE unlocked 4th core @3.7GHz || GPU: low profile Geforce 9500GT || random 2x 2GB ddr2 ram (don't feel like looking) || Cooler: some rosewill cooler

One last comment for me on this is OP AMD is slashing prices now or soon.  People have made mention of this on LTT and elsewhere.  I know they also introduced a few new cpus or rehashes with better TDP maybe but I doubt they will be as cheap as an AMD FX 6300.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20140820095939_AMD_Readies_FX_8370_FX_8370E_Microprocessors.html