I'm moving and I might break my graphics card

SouthernPotato

So I'm moving, and my desktop PC will have to be shipped. I've heard many horror stories involved with shipping PCs, so I think I'll be taking the hard drive and my decently sized graphics card wrapped up and in a backpack on the plane. I would do my best to prevent any impacts to it. Does that sound like a terrible idea? Are there alternatives that I should be pursuing in the day that I have before I board a plane?

Thank you for your input.

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

take out all the loose components and wrap them in paper and in a bubble wrap or jumeper, or something to keep them safe!

The rest should be ok!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

for HDD

I would jump to the local computer shop and ask if they have any spare HDD box with foam. 

They should give it to you cheap or free, and it would be good for the HDD

for the GPU, its nothing special, as it is not that sensible ( but do not use it as a volleyball)

what CPU cooler do you have?

take out all the loose components and wrap them in paper and in a bubble wrap or jumeper, or something to keep them safe!

Are there any loose components you had in mind other than what I've already mentioned?

for HDD

I would jump to the local computer shop and ask if they have any spare HDD box with foam. 

They should give it to you cheap or free, and it would be good for the HDD

for the GPU, its nothing special, as it is not that sensible ( but do not use it as a volleyball)

what CPU cooler do you have?

I have the box I bought my HDD in, it;s not foam but it has the little plastic suspension thingies. I was going to use that.

Take your GPU off, your CPU cooler aswell (it can snap the MB)

This is embarrassing, but...I have the stock Intel cooler. Seeing as it's a locked i5 that I'm only putting an extra 200 MHz on, I never really saw the need to buy another one. The temps have always been okay. Maybe I'll buy one in the future, but for now I don't think the stock cooler weighs enough to be a concern, is that a good assumption?

Radeon HD 7950 3GB | Intel i5 3350P @ 3.3GHz | 16GB RAM | MSI B75MA-P45

Samsung 840 EVO 256GB | Western Digital Black 1TB

Are there any loose components you had in mind other than what I've already mentioned?

Hard drives, heat sink (your stock one might be ok since it is not heavy though the are not secured that well, it could shake loose), tie up an wires so they do not get tangled or caught in fans etc

Anything that is not screwed down tight

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Wrap up the card in something easy to open, and have an explanation ready for the tsa agents. They're all so dumb I doubt they will know what it is...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|